Best Teaching Practice EDU 560 By: Felicia Neal
Qualities of Best Teaching in Mathematics
- Help all students understand that mathematics is a dynamic, coherent, inter-connected set of ideas.
- Support all students to understand and use mathematical concepts powerfully.
- Focus instruction on enabling students to successfully engage in critical cognitive processes.
- Help students understand and use counting strategies, number concepts, operations, and computational procedures.
- Give all students opportunities to engage in doing algebra and reasoning algebraically through out their K–12school years.
- To build understanding of mathematical concepts in geometry, measurement, data, statistics, and probability, use real-world, realistic, authentic contexts that are inherently meaningful to students.
Five Critical Strategies for Creating Representations:
- Discuss the problem in small groups
- Use manipulatives
- Act it out
- Draw a picture, diagram, or graph
- Make a list or table
Math Recovery Program & Learning Framework in Number
1. Early arithmetical strategies
2. Base-ten arithmetical strategies
3. Forward number word sequences and the number word after
4. Backward number word sequences and the number word before
5. Numerical identification
6. Combining and partitioning
7. Spatial patterns and subitizing
8. Temporal sequences
9. Finger patterns
10. Five-based strategies (using five as a privileged number)
11. Multiplication and division
*This is critical for future success in mathematical learning.
When Using Assessments...
- Make sure they are purposeful
- Provides understanding of what students need to know
- Use different forms of formative assessments
"Mathematical thinking is a normal part of everyone’s mental ability, and not confined to a gifted few."