September 14, 2020
Please help share this information with parents of Herndon students so we are getting the word out to all of our families.
Virtual and Hybrid Attendance
- Daily attendance is required for all students - virtual, hybrid, and traditional.
- Virtual and hybrid attendance is taken by the homeroom teacher via the Canvas app.
- Students must log into ClassLink, click on the Canvas app, and participate in their homeroom class by 8 AM each day for virtual and at home days for hybrid.
- In order for homeroom teachers to see student's activity, students must click on their homeroom course in their dashboard and then click on modules/assignments/buttons within the homeroom course.
- If you do not log into your homeroom class by 8:15, you will be marked absent. If you log in later, your absence will be changed to a check-in at the time you logged into your homeroom course.
- Attendance is compulsory in Louisiana for all students - virtual, hybrid, and traditional.
Back to School Night
Teachers will record B2S night videos that will be posted to the school website on Tuesday, September 22 by 6:30 PM. Parents will be able to view the videos in their own time to learn more about the expectations for each class and how the year is progressing so far.
Jean/Spirit Day vs. Free Dress Day
- Jean days mean students can wear denim pants, shorts, or skirts (no more than 4" above the knee) without holes showing skin with a uniform or Herndon shirt.
- Free dress days are ONLY on the last school day before a school holiday. Last year we had free dress every Friday as a reward for the previous year's test scores.
Middle School Chromebooks and Personal Devices
- Hybrid students must bring their device to school every day. Even when we return to 5 days a week on campus instruction, we will still use Canvas daily and students will be required to bring their devices daily.
- ALL devices need to have 100% charge EVERY day when students arrive at school. Most of our classrooms only have 2 or 3 outlets in the room making it impossible for students to be able to charge their devices.
Each week our students, teachers, and parents are learning more about maneuvering through Canvas and using our new learning management system. Here are a few things to remember:
- If you are having trouble uploading an assignment or getting a link to work, email the teacher within the Canvas app or send them a message via their preferred method of contact (DOJO or Remind).
- DO NOT take pictures of assignments and email them to the teacher. Message them with an explanation of the type of error you are receiving including a screen shot or snip if able.
- Communication is key. Please be mindful of the time when emailing or messaging teachers. Teachers are not expected to respond to messages in the evenings, middle of the night, or on weekends. You may not receive a response until the teachers next planning period.
If you can't find an answer after reviewing the help guides, you can call the Caddo Canvas help desk for parent and students at 318-295-0440 between the hours of 11 AM and 7 PM, Monday through Friday and speak to a technician directly.
Students can also complete an electronic ticket through the Virtual Help Desk.
If you need general technical support, you can call 318-603-5489 between the hours of 11 AM and 7 PM, Monday through Friday.
LIVE Lesson Schedule for Middle School
ELA - 8:15 - 9:05 AM - Harrell, Rice, Miller, Barr
Math - 9:15 - 10:05 - Allen, Corbell, Wiley, Dickerson
Science - 12:15 - 1:05 - Woodell, Jennings (6th & 7th @ 12:15, 8th @ 12:40)
Social Studies - 1:15 - 2:05 - Boddie, Murphy (6th & 7th @ 1:15, 8th @ 1:40)
ALL 7th Grade Students will receive a Life Skills handbook during PE. Virtual students will pick up the handbook with their other texts this Friday, September 4. You will have LIVE Life Skills Lessons at 10:15 on the following Fridays: September 11, 18, 25, October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6, 13, 20, and December 4. This is required and part of your PE grade.