Mrs. Bryer's Newsletter
September 17, 2012
Nuts and Bolts
- I will continue to email this link and include the newsletter in the folders. A parent told me it was helpful to read the email at work.
- Conference reminders went home Friday. I am required to meet with everyone so please help me out and schedule a conference if you haven't already.
- Turn in the t-shirt order form by MONDAY. Your child's shirt is FREE!
- Please keep your child's lunch account positive. If you receive a negative balance please take care of it quickly. After the charge is more than a few dollars your child will no longer be able to charge and they receive a cheese sandwich and milk. This does not make for a fun day!
- Daily Folders are expected to be returned daily. I will check the calendar for notes and leave you any notes as well. The children are reminded each morning to turn in their folder. If they do not, I will not give them their daily sticker/smiley face. This class really likes stickers so I will try to put a sticker on the calendar each day your child meets the classroom expectations. Sometimes time only allows for a drawn smile and quick check. I will leave a note if they did not meet the expectations of behavior.
- Please remind your child of the lunchroom expectations. They are to stay in their seat, raise their hand for help, eat/touch only their food, and stay at a level 2 (talking quietly). On Friday, our class received a class write up during lunch because so many children were not following the expectations.
- Class snack is provided by parent sign up. If your child does not like the current snack they can bring an alternative. Please know that it MUST be a healthy snack or they will not be allowed to eat it.
- Additional food to the hot school lunch are not necessary. Children are beginning to bring extra food to take to lunch to eat with their hot school lunch. Please be aware that the school lunch is nutritious and filling. They are not able to eat all that they have and food is being wasted.
I have high expectations in my classroom. We have 21 children in our class family. First and for most they need to be responsible for our bodies and our words. We take Thumper's motto, "If you don't have nothin' nice to say, don't say anything at all." This is hard for kindergarteners because they often want to say whatever comes to mind. We are learning to filter our thoughts.
I am also trying to help them find their helpful words. It is impossible for me to attend to every report from a child. For example, "She touched my paper." They think it important that I know every interaction between every child. I am trying to teach them, " I don't like it when you_____, please _________." For example, I don't like it when you touch my hair, please keep your hands in your lap." If their words stop the undesirable action then they have taken care of it themselves. If not, they are to come back and I will help them with their situation. If the initial incident causes anyone to get hurt they are to make sure I know right away.
Handwriting Without Tears
Chants for Writing Numbers
2- around and back on the railroad track. Two! Two!
3- around and around the tree, that's how you make a number 3
4- little line down, little line over, go to the top and drop a big line down
5- short neck, belly fat, back to the top and give it a hat. That's how you make a number 5!
6- down and around
I am also using it as a motivator. We are having difficulty with transitions. This is expected but we were making little progress. Adding the chance for social stations at the end of the day was a great motivator for children to work together and get ready for the next task.
Water Bottles and the Bathroom
We have made a revelation! The bathroom issue has been reduced. It turns out that many children were fearful of the automatic toilet. It is very loud in the small bathroom. This is my first experience with automatic toilets in the classroom and it never crossed my mind. We now put a post-it note over the sensor so that they children can flush it when they move away from the toilet. This seems to be helping. They are also doing a good job remembering to flush. Please model at home washing hands after using the bathroom. They often come out and try to go right back to work without stopping at the sink first.
If you have not already done so, please send in a complete change of clothes including socks. It is helpful to have a change of clothes on hand for spills and accidents.