Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - March 4, 2022
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Your Principal
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
Durham Bus Information
Winter Activity Guide
A Letter from Your Principal
Hello, Mustang Community,
I would like to start this week’s newsletter offering our condolences to the Kemp family as they mourn the passing of Mr. Roger Kemp. The Kemps are a very important part of our Mustang family and we will always remember Mustang alum, Ali Kemp, who was tragically taken from us nearly 20 years ago. Mr. Kemp has been a huge support to BVN for decades and has been part of our annual class day by graciously presenting the Ali Kemp Scholarship to a senior Mustang. The Kemp family will always be in the BVN family and our hearts are with them as they process this loss.
As we head into the end of 3rd Quarter, we applaud the efforts of our Spring Sports coaches and athletes and all of our performers and musicians. Our Band Wind Ensemble gave performances at The Kaufmann Center, The Lied Center on the KU Campus and were a featured performance at KMEA in Wichita. We also are so excited for our Girls Basketball competing at the State Playoffs in Wichita on Wednesday!
We hope everyone has a great Spring Break March 14-18, and remember, there is no school this Friday, March 11 and Monday, March 21, due to Professional Learning. Have a great week!
Kudos and Celebrations
Lizzie Place, BVN junior and fourth-generation Girl Scout, was recently featured in The Kansas City Star for her work on developing the resource, Take a Hike, KC . Her website highlights free hiking trails in the Kansas City region. Lizzie created this list as part of a Girl Scout Gold Award project, which is the most prestigious award you can earn as a Girl Scout for making a lasting change in your community. Congratulations, and great work, Lizzie! Thank you for inspiring us to hike!
Of the four divers qualifying for state, three were able to make the finals. Freshman Trey Wichman was 16th, senior Matt Freeman was 9th and senior Spencer Eyen is your new 6A State Champion! Let's also give a shout-out to Jack Eitzmann who was the fourth diver qualifying to state! Congratulations to the entire Boys Swim and Dive team as they finished a strong third at the state competition! There will be a write up about the swimmers in the March 11 edition.
Counseling, Academics & Testing (updated)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- 9th - 12th graders: Don’t miss the Blue Valley College Fair on April 5th, 6 - 7:30pm at Hilltop Conference Center. Registration and information can be found here - https://app.strivescan.com/registration.
- The schedule change period for this semester has ended. Only level changes and drops to a study hall are now allowed. Students may pick up a schedule change form in Student Services to request these changes.
- Senior scholarships can be found on Naviance Home page->College tab->Scholarship Search https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Juniors and Seniors can sign up to attend college admission rep visits to BVN - Naviance Home page->Colleges tab->College Visits https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynh
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- PROM Info! It will be April 9 from 8-10 p.m. at the Hilltop Conference Center. If you plan to invite a date from another school, you must complete a form--come see Mrs. Miller in Student Services for more info.
- The schedule of Senior Final Exams
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
We will update this info page as decisions are made in the new few months.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time cancelled on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Update: On Tuesday & Thursday, North Time is now called Academic Support Time (AST).
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
March 11: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
March 14-18: NO SCHOOL/Spring Break
March 21: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
April 5: Blue Valley School District College Fair (see counseling section for info)
April 18-19: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
May 22: Graduation at 7:00 p.m.
May 24-26: Final Exams for underclassmen
May 26: Last day of school (tenative)
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Math, ELA & Science State Assessments (new)
Kansas State testing is coming up for sophomores and juniors after spring break! The following tests will be administered during class times for the following dates/grades:
- March 22-25: Math Assessments for Sophomores
- March 28-31: ELA Assessments for Sophomores
- April 4-5: Science Assessments for Juniors
Kansas State Assessments measure student mastery of state standards in each subject. Students will take the assessments during their assigned Math, ELA, or Science class hour. We would greatly appreciate if you could please avoid scheduling appointments or pulling your student out of class during these testing days if it is avoidable.
Feel free to contact Dr. Lisa Stolper, Assistant Principal of Curriculum & Instruction, if you have any questions about state testing.
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
2022-2023 Cheer Team Tryouts & Info Meeting (new)
Interested in trying out for the 2022-2023 BVN Cheer Team? Please complete the following Google Form to receive additional information for our upcoming tryouts on April 8th. Please complete the Google form by Sunday, March 20th to receive information. If you have any questions please contact Coach Shoemaker at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .
2022-2023 Dance Team Information Meeting (new)
When: Tuesday, March 22nd @ 7:00 p.m.
Where: Zoom (link will be sent at a later date)
We will be hosting an informational meeting for parents and dancers to learn more about the role of the North Stars, explain the tryout process more in-depth, and cover team expectations, participation, and potential costs.
Any dancer interested in attending the meeting needs to fill out the Google Form at the link below. This is how we will get emails to distribute Zoom information. Can't wait to see you there! Kylie Thompson, BVN North Stars Head Coach.
BOYS STATE 2022 JUNE 5-11! “Boys State is a practical opportunity to learn leadership skills through role play civic exercise.” Applications are available for high school sophomores and juniors to attend Boys State 2022. You can find more information at https://ksbstate.org/. Boys State will take place on the Kansas State University campus. If cost is an issue, please contact the KS Boys State Main Office (see FAQs). Questions? Contact Catie Bosch, email@example.com .
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOCO COVID-19 Updates
JOCO COVID-19 UPDATES
Please follow this link to the Johnson County COVID-19 website for current information.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic Info
Testing/Drop off location: MAWD labs 14950 Newton Drive Overland Park, KS (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley District Office Campus).
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (https://mawdbvsd.simplybook.us/v2/ )(up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account (https://c19order.com/school/enrollment) for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- A parent/guardian will need to complete a consent form and must be with the student at the Drive-In Clinic to give verbal permission at the time of testing.
- Tests: Nasal self-swab and saliva PCR tests are both offered at the clinic. Individuals will need to refrain from eating or drinking 30 minutes prior to the saliva test.
- Test results are sent to the provided email/text address and to Blue Valley Health Services generally within 12-16 hours. They are not sent to building nurses.
Students and families who wish to access PCR testing, may use the MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing Clinic or any other community COVID-19 testing* location.
BV MAWD Hours for Spring Break: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Sunday, March 13 - Sunday, March 20 - Clinic Closed
- Monday, March 21 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, March 22 - Regular hours resume
BV MAWD Hours for April's Professional Development Days: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Sunday, April 17 - Clinic Closed
- Monday, April 18 - Clinic Closed
- Tuesday, April 19 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 20 - Regular hours resume
BV MAWD Hours for Last Day of School: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Thursday, May 26 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
BV MAWD Regular Hours: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
- Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm
- Friday: 8am-3:30pm
- Sunday: 10am-2pm
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is canceled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff absences or transportation absences.
BV MAWD Courier Pickup Times:
- Monday-Thursday @ 11:30am and 5:45pm
- Friday @ 11am and 4:15pm
- Sunday @ 2:15pm
Normal dropoff hours at the MAWD Labs Headquarters: 11070 Strang Line Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215
- Monday - Friday: 8am-9pm
- Saturday/Sunday & Holiday Hours: 8am-3:30pm
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Prepare For a Safe & Health Spring Break
- Before you go: prepare a travel health kit with prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, insect repellent, sunscreen, alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- During your trip: don’t leave your health habits at home.
- After you return: if you’re not feeling well call your doctor for follow-up.
- For more helpful tips check out the following: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/spring-break-travel
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Winter Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/xqsn/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
The Office will be closed March 14-18, during spring break.