Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 29
Upcoming Important Dates
- Monday, April 10 - School Council Meeting @ 6:30
- Wednesday, April 12 - Family Night Easter Egg Decorating 6:30-8:30
- Thursday, April 13 - Easter Party at 1:30, Gator Pride Day (wear Gator clothing), Fun Lunch
- Friday, April 14 - Sunday, April 23 - Easter Break
- Monday, April 24 - Classes resume
- Wednesday, April 26 - Super Hero Day
Magic Show: Last Wednesday, a motivational magician performed at our school. The main idea behind the magic show was the book "Have You Filled A Bucket Today?" by Carol McCloud. If you have not yet heard of this book it is a heartwarming book that encourages positive behaviour by using the concept of an invisible bucket to show children how easy and rewarding it is to express kindness, appreciation, and love by "filling buckets."
Canteen Menu: There is a new spring menu for the canteen starting Monday, April 10. Old menu's will no longer be accepted. Please get rid of any old menus and let me know if you would like copies of the new one. This can be done through the ClassDojo or via e-mail.
Bikes: If your child rides a bike to school please ensure they are wearing a helmet. Students are also reminded to walk their bikes when on school property. This is a precaution to prevent injuries and keep all students safe.
Virtue of the Month: This month's virtue is Self-Control. Here are a few great reads and websites you can share with your child that can trigger some great conversations:
Howard B Wigglebottom: Learn to Listen by Howard Binkow
My Mouth is a Volcano! by Julia Cook
How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad? by Jane Yolen
When Sophie Gets Angry - Really, Really Angry...by Molly Bang
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
This is where I share a few things that we have been learning this week, great discussion for at the dinner table (hence “Table Talk”)!
1) Math: This week we have been practicing addition and subtraction. Get your child to solve an addition or subtraction question with fun items at home.
2) Sight Words: Our Sight Words of the week were “did" and "on." Have your child spell these and use them in a sentence.
3) Science: Once again, our students have been transforming into engineers this week. Their tasks and projects all related to the world of fairy tales. Feel free to have your child share their experience about the following...
- This week students had to work together and create a slipper for Cinderella, a bridge for the Billy Goats Gruff and a chair for Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The students did such an amazing job!!! Next week will be our last task...building the Genie's Lamp for Aladdin.
4) Magic Show: Have your child tell you about the Magic Show. What was their favorite part?