Sara Brannon - 6th period
- Atomic #: 20
- Atomic Mass: 40.078
- Melting Point: 842 degrees Celsius
- Boiling Point: 1284 degrees Celsius
- # of Protons: 20
- # of Neutrons: 20
- # of Electrons: 20
- Classification: metal
- Cost: $11 per 100g
- Family: Alkaline Earth Metal
- Origin of Name: It comes from the Latin word "Calcius", meaning lime.
- Year of Discovery: 1808
- Discovered by: Sir Humphry Davy
- Electron Configuration: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2
- Egyptian pyramids were built from limestone blocks. Limestone is crystalline calcium carbonate.
- Calcium ions are the most important messengers between cells and are absolutely vital for the existence of multicellular life forms.
- Calcium is used to remove oxygen, sulfur, and carbon from alloys.