October 4, 2021 LWE Newsletter
Dear Lake Windward Families,
Happy Fall everyone! I love the slightly cooler temperatures and the fun festivities that come with this season. We even have an outdoor movie night scheduled in a few weeks (sponsored by our PTO).
We are about to wrap up the first quarter of the school year! Friday of this week is the last day of our current grading period. You will be able to see the first quarter grade reports in the parent portal starting on October 15, 2021. Teachers are in the midst of scheduling and conducting parent/teacher conferences. We appreciate your partnership in your child's education. The home-school connection is vital to student success!
One of the things the admin team and I got to work on over the summer is creating a nice staff dining/lounge area where our teachers and staff can take a few minutes to enjoy a bite to eat and some fellowship with others when their schedules allow. One thing we have in our staff lounge is a snack bin. PTO is asking for families of each grade level to contribute snacks for our teachers/staff during one month of the school year. Please see more information below in the PTO section of the newsletter. Fueling our teachers with some delicious snacks is a great way to show your appreciation and love for our staff.
Have a wonderful week and enjoy the long weekend coming up! There is no school for students on Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Check out our new staff lounge!
LWE was selected as iReady school of the month!
Important Dates To Note
October 6- Wear your Atlanta Braves shirt or colors in support of making it to the post season!
October 11- Columbus Day- School Closed
October 12- Teacher Workday- No School for students
October 22- PTO Family Movie Night (on LWE field)
Morning Carpool/Arrival Times
**Please note that the staff assisting with carpool have to come inside at 7:40 am as they have students and other assigned responsibilities that they need to get to.**
MAP Testing- Grades 2 & 4
Learning & Growing at LWE!
Students Recognized for Character Trait of the Month
Each month as a school we focus on a different character trait. Teachers nominate students who exhibit the character trait we are focusing on. Students will be recognized and will receive a certificate to take home. Below are the names of students who were nominated and recognized for the character trait of Responsibility during the month of September:
A Note From Our Social Worker
Attendance Matters ALL DAY, EVERYDAY
Keep Your Child On Track in School: Pay Attention to Attendance
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Communicate with the school
• Know the school’s attendance policy – incentives and penalties.
• Check on your child’s attendance to be sure absences are not adding up.
• Seek help from school staff, other parents, or community agencies if you need support.
(If your child is sick or symptomatic, please keep them home.)
Another Easy Way to Support LWE PTO! Do You Already Shop At Amazon?
If you register for Amazon Smile, they will automatically donate a portion of your sales to the LWE PTO. All you have to do is sign-up!!
How to use AmazonSmile on a web browser:
- Visit smile.amazon.com
- Sign in with the same account you use for Amazon.com
- Select your charity : Lake Windward Elementary School PTO Inc. Alpharetta, GA.
- Start shopping! Remember to checkout at smile.amazon.com to generate donations for your chosen charity.
Tip: Add a bookmark to make it easier to shop at smile.amazon.com.
How to use AmazonSmile using the Amazon app on your mobile phone:
- Open the Amazon Shopping app
- Navigate to the main menu: the 3 lines next to the cart icon at the bottom of the screen (=)
- Tap on Settings and then select “AmazonSmile” from the list
- Select Lake Windward Elementary School PTO Inc. Alpharetta, GA., and then follow the on-screen instructions to turn ON AmazonSmile in the mobile app
- Once AmazonSmile has been activated in your app, future eligible app purchases will generate a donation for the charity you have selected.
Note: The tablet app is not yet supported.