JCUE Monday Memo
November 30, 2020
Mission and Vision Statement
The mission of Jefferson County Upper Elementary School is to provide a 21st century learning environment that produces civically, responsible scholars that are college and career ready.
The vision of Jefferson County Upper Elementary School is to foster an enthusiastic, creative community of scholars ready to influence change in the world.
Dear Families and Community Members:
This week we will begin our 2nd Semester Testing cycle which includes iReady, Encase Benchmarks, and Nine Weeks exams. All testing will be virtually and starts at 8:30am daily (students should log-in by 7:55am). Non-testers should log into Canvas and complete mini lessons in each course for extra credit. If all mini lessons are complete, work on incomplete assignments.
Your support is still needed to ensure that all scholars are successful in their studies! You can help us by doing the following-
- Add your child's district gmail account to your mobile device. This will allow you to monitor their incoming and outgoing messages.
- Download the Canvas parent app to your mobile device. This will allow you to become an observer of your child's assignments and grades.
- Check your Active Parent Account. Important messages are posted for your viewing.
- Update your contact number and mailing address if it has changed since registration so that we can contact you as needed.
Thank you parents for all you do for the scholars of Jefferson County Upper Elementary!
Attendance for the Week of November 23, 2020
Student Goal: 95%+
Teacher Goal: 95%+
November Teacher of the Month
Ms. Virginia Harris
November Student of the Month
TIME MANAGEMENT VS. THE INTERNET RABBIT HOLE
For many students, the internet, in all its vastness, is an enticing, never-ending rabbit hole that’s difficult to avoid, and sometimes even more difficult to escape. Curbing time spent down rabbit holes is difficult for many students to do on their own. Thankfully, they don’t have to! A quick Google search reveals many useful apps to help your student manage their time better. Rescue Time is a good example of what’s available. In the free version, the app tracks time spent on various websites. Knowing where and how your child is spending their time online is the first step to recovering that time. A premium version goes a step further and provides the opportunity to set time limits and block specified websites. The internet can be tamed. It just requires an intervention.
Helpful Information/Tips for Parents
- Excuses for missed days should be emailed to the school secretary within three days of the absence by the parent or guardian.
- A maximum of two (2) days for illness/injury per nine weeks can be recognized as excused when a note has been signed by a parent/guardian. A student absent in excess of two (2) days per nine weeks must provide school officials with a written explanation from a health provider. These medical notes must be submitted within three (3) days following the student’s return to school.
- Any technical issues with scholars logging into class which may cause a day of missed instruction should be emailed to the teacher and school secretary by the parent or guardian.
- When students miss instruction due to internet connectivity, they must complete and submit the assignment in the instructional packet by Monday of the following week to remove the absent mark. Instructional packets are posted in Canvas weekly and available on the district website. A printed copy can be requested by calling the school office.
- Teacher meeting IDS, passwords, and links are the same (no changes). Call the front office or email the school secretary if you need the information again.
- Students should log in or attend all required classes daily for the entire period.
Student District Email
The students' district email accounts are Google (Gmail) accounts. Parents you are encouraged to add your child's account to your personal device to keep up with all information between the student and school.
Jefferson County Upper Elementary School communicates with parents and students through the following means-
- Parent Phone Calls
- Student District Email
- Monday Memo
- Active Parent
- Remind- https://www.remind.com/join/kcf362
- Facebook Page- https://www.facebook.com/Jefferson-County-Upper-Elementary-458910737630216/
- School Website- www.jcpsd.net/upperelementary
The Upper Elementary team is here for support and you are encouraged to contact us for assistance as we work together this school year.
Teamwork, Collaboration, and Success
Jefferson County Upper Elementary School
Ms. Ophelia Rowan, Secretary | Ext. 301 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Gretchen Carter, Counselor | Ext. 302 | email@example.com