IN THE MIDDLE
September 8, 2015
A Minute (or Two) with Mrs. Mayes
What a joyous first day of school! It was amazing to see the halls filled with students again. =) I personally feel like a 5th grader myself--wide-eyed and a little glazed over, but I know that it will be a great year.
Here is what you need to know as Middle School Parents to start the year off right:
- To honor our commitment to "be green," we've included two electronic forms at the bottom of this email for you to complete by Friday, 9/25: Walking Field Trip Permission Slip and the Handbook Contract.
- Your child(ren) will be bringing home a "First Day Packet." Inside is an emergency form for you to review and to note any changes. For the safety of your child, it is critical that these forms are returned immediately--with Wednesday (9/9) being preferable and Friday (9/11) being the latest.
- If you have changed addresses, a change of address form will need to be completed. It is attached to this email.
- Picture Day is Thursday, September 17.
- Be sure to sign up for text alerts through Remind. You must complete this step annually. TEXT @mms5678 to 81010
- There is a PTSA meeting tonight (9/8) at 5:30 pm. We hope to see you there!
- There is definitely construction in town--and traffic to go with it! We'll be rather lenient with arrival times this week and will forgo tardies related to the detour. We do ask, however, that you help us by leaving a few minutes early to account for the extra driving time.
- Another communication tool between school and home is the list of weekly classroom assignments teachers have shared with you. These links provide a tentative schedule of the week ahead (keep in mind that unforeseen circumstances, such as teacher absences, may cause the plan to alter from time to time). As a MS parent myself, I suggest you bookmark the page pertaining to your child. You can also find them under the middle school's "Parents & Students" tab. Check it out here:
Meet Our New School Social Worker, Susan Thompson
Dear Manchester Middle School students and families:
I realize you have probably been getting a barrage of updates and welcome letters. Why stop a good thing? I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I am the new Special Education School Social Worker for Manchester Community Schools.
Prior to Manchester Schools, I was a Special Education School Social Worker with the Lincoln Consolidated School District. I have worked K-12 while at LCS, but spent the last several years exclusively at the high school level. I am looking forward to being able to, once again, work with a wider variety of student ages.
In the next few weeks I will be setting up my building schedules and introducing myself to students and staff. I will also be meeting with the previous School Social Worker to get her advice and insight on the needs of Manchester and how I can best make the transition the least disruptive to all of you.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to working with you.
Susan M. Thompson, LMSW, SSW
Manchester Community Schools
Middle School Phone: 734-428-7442, extension 1237