WE'RE ALL WONDERS
FAMILY NEWSLETTER FOR OCTOBER 4-8
NEXT TWO WEEKS AT A GLANCE
MONDAY, OCTOBER 4
- Continue to work on Reflections entries. These must be submitted online on or before October 18th at this website: https://www.utahpta.org/ref
- Regular school schedule - some teachers will begin conferencing today
- ART: Hope, Cluff and Larsen
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 5
- Birthday table for October on the stage during lunch - those celebrating birthdays may invite one friend
- Regular school schedule - some teacher will be conferencing today
- ART: Imler, Ashe/Thomas and Nichols
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 6
- PTA Board Meeting at 12:30pm in the faculty room
- Early-out schedule - Parent-teacher conferences continue via Zoom
- "Say Boo to the Flu" immunization clinic from 1pm-5pm in the Big Gym
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7
- Final day of Parent-Teacher conferences for most teachers
- We will follow the early-out schedule again today!
- "Say Boo to the Flu" immunization clinic from 2-6pm in the Big Gym
- ART: Brimhall
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8
- Early-out Schedule
MONDAY, OCTOBER 11
- ART: Klinker and Bounds
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 12
- ART: Newland, Jensen and Clayton
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 13
- ART: Crowley, Shupe and Gassaway
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 14 and FRIDAY, OCTOBER 15
- Fall Break - No School
DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. SPEECH CONTEST
The school level contest will be held on October 18th. Mrs. Vanderlinden, our SEM Teacher, will arrange for judges who will view each student's memorized speech and complete a rubric.
Some things to remember:
- If your child would like to participate, he or she can sign up for a time in the office. All speeches will be judged in person on October 18.
- Students should self-select an excerpt from one of Dr. King's famous speeches.
- Students must memorize the excerpt and be ready to recite it with enthusiasm and emotion.
- Memorized excerpts should be 1-3 minutes long.
- Reading Elementary can have one representative at the district contest from each of these grade level bands: K-2, 3-4 and 5-6
- Speeches can be presented in English or in a student's first language
- The school level contact is Mrs. Vanderlinden.
- After the school level contest, selected representatives from Reading will be able to participate in the district level contest.
- The judging rubric can be found here: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1632256155/davisk12utus/o0h00vlnx0soh0qrmm7j/MLKRubric092021.pdf
- At the district level, awards of up to $100 will be given.
- Additional information can be accessed here: https://www.davis.k12.ut.us/departments/educational-equity/dr-martin-luther-king-jr-speech-contest