HOLA Families Newsletter Feb. 6th
Holbrook Language Academy
Message from Principal Orellana
I hope you had a nice weekend! As you know one of our Pillars of Dual Language Education is to foster sociocultural competence. For this reason, our HOLA staff works relentlessly on highlighting all cultures and heritage. The month of February is a month when we highlight and celebrate the contributions of African Americans to US history, and culture. Below you have some resources to address these contributions as a family.
Tips to remember:
- Black History is American History
- Every day is Black History day
Resources for Parents:
District Wide Celebration:
On February 23rd we will have a district-wide celebration about Black History. See the picture below with more details.
As a team of educators, paraprofessionals and support staff, we are committed to fostering dual language education so that students are bilingual, biliterate , with high academic achievement with global citizenship skills. This is only possible when families and our staff work together on fostering opportunities for our Jets: a BIG Thank You for your continued commitment to Dual Language Education.
Important News! We are starting our English Learners Proficiency Assessment of California (ELPAC). This assessment is very importante for our Emergent Bilingual students as it measures their growth in language proficiency and helps us identify students who meet the reclassification criteria.
Next week, students in TK, K and 1st grade will be assessed on ELPAC.
TK, K and 1st grade Families:
- Make sure your child has plenty of hours to sleep each night
- Provide a healthy breakfast and snacks daily
- make sure your child comes every day to school and on time.
The TK, K and 1st grade students will be assessed on a 1:1 basis by three trained certified staff. Given they are assessing several students, the test administration will start next week and continues until March.
As we begin close to start assessment for each grade level, I will share via this newsletter so you can talk to your child about the importance of this test.
Read below some other announcements and important information.
Have a great week!
- Principal Orellana
#WeAreHolbrook #SomosHolbrook #HOLAseis #HOLAproud
Middle School Updates:
1. Our School Site Council (SSC) requested to have Middle School student representatives as part of the council. For this to take place, we have followed the following procedure:
-Announce SSC is looking for Student Representatives
-Based on Teacher Recommendations, invite candidates to an information session
-Potential candidates notified their interest to run for Student Representative at SSC
-Candidates present a Nomination Speech
-Middle School students vote for 2 candidates.
-Ballots are counted and announced.
-New Student Representatives are introduced at the February meeting.
2. Student Council: Did you know we have also a Student Council in Middle School? They meet monthly to share needs and interests. They also plan events: They planned the last Kindness Spirit Week!
3. Unique TWDL program: This is the ONLY Middle School Program that offers Dual Language education that is a Two Way Immersion program in which students have the opportunity to learn subjects in both English and Spanish following the 50/50 allocation model.
Pick Up and Drop Off: This procedure is extremely important as it helps our students and families arrive and leave the site safely. I invite you all to take extra time in the morning to drop off your child. We use the white zone for quick drop off or pick up only.
If you want or need to walk your child to school, please park your car in the HOLA parking lot next to the Day Care or across from the school.
Ms. Kathy will be helping us out in the morning to facilitate our Drop Off procedure.
Please, do not use the parking at the front of the school for parking or dropping/picking up students.
We have 2 or 3 teachers on duty daily to ensure students are dropped off or picked up safely. Please, note that teachers are not there to enforce traffic rules or pick up/drop off procedures, but to ensure that the children are safe.
This is a community effort. I thank you for helping our Jets and their families be safe.
Our next ELAC meeting will be on: Friday, March 10th at 8:30 am.
Please, join us if your child is an English Learner. There are important topics that will be shared.
TK and K registration:
We have a new process for registering incoming TK and K students. It is as follows:
Use the district website: www.mdusd.org Departments: Student Services
New Student Enrollment for the
2023-2024 School Year*
1. FIND Your Resident School
- To locate your resident school, use our School Finder
2. REVIEW the following before enrolling your student
- Age Appropriate Placement
- Immunization Requirements
- Documents for Address Verification
- Other Required Documents
3. APPLY online
- Please print your Aeries Online Enrollment summary upon completion
- Currently attending TK students do not need to complete Aeries Online Enrollment. Your student will be pre-enrolled at their school of residence
- Previously enrolled students do not need to complete Aeries Online Enrollment. Contact your school of residence with the required documents
TK (Birthdates between: September 2, 2018 - April 2, 2019) and Kindergarten Students
We will be serving families in order of their arrival. Families MUST complete online enrollment (AIR) AND either bring or upload all required documents (birth certificate/passport, immunizations, 2 forms address verification, and parent's ID) to complete the process.
- TK and Kinder student will be registering centrally through the Enrollment Center. Please see the calendar below for your resident school's dates.
- The Enrollment Center is located at 1026 Mohr Ln, Concord, CA 94518
- TK assignment will be based on your school of residence's cluster as well as the number of students enrolled.
- TK Cluster list is available here
- La lista de grupos sitios de TK está disponible aquí
- Before signing up for an appointment please ensure that you have completed steps 1-3
Any family who is interested in our HOLA Two Way immersion Program, must attend on the date of the resident school to register and indicate their interest to be part of HOLA. When parents indicate their preference (Holbrook Language Academy), Student Services staff will provide you with information on how to request a transfer to HOLA.
Elementary Grades K-5 (including Dual Immersion Program transfer requests):
February 10, 2023 - April 1, 2023
The process has been shared in our school website as well.
TK and K Informational Night: We will be hosting another information night about our amazing program on February 16th at 5:00 pm at Willow Creek Center (1026 Mohr Lane, Concord, CA, 94520). If you have a child who is an incoming TK or K student, you are invited to join us. Please, share this information with any family or friend who has a TK or K student so they can join us to learn about our amazing program and school community.
We will be sending flyers home with this information later on, please share it with anyone you feel is interested.
HOLA Jet Families!
Thank you for joining us at the Kindness Movie Night. It was a LOT of fun!
Our February PFC Meeting is tomorrow 2/7 in Room 20 at 6:00pm and on Zoom - See link below. Come join us and bring your thoughts, ideas and feedback about community events, PFC and HOLA!
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 839 3995 2297
JOIN THE PFC
If you are interested in joining the PFC, we would love to have you! You can join a team or just give some ideas, either way you are welcomed. You can come to a meeting and / or email us at Holbrookpfcweb@gmail.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Follow us! Stalk us! Get up to date and fun information and photos, share yours, ask questions and more on all of our social media platforms!
Any questions or if you would like to join in on the fun of being on the PFC, please reach out! We would love to hear from you! Holbrookpfcweb@gmail.com.
With love and gratitude,
📆 Upcoming Events
February 7- PFC Meeting at 6:00 pm in Room 20 (and on zoom)
February 6-10- Middle School votes for two student representatives for SSC (History in the making!!)
February 13th: School Site Council (SSC) and Public Hearing on Safety Plan at 3:00pm in Room 20
February 16th- TK and K Dual Language Informational Night at 5:00pm at Willow Creek Center
February17-20 School Recess
Holbrook Language Academy
MDUSD Language Magnet School