Welcome 2021! I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year’s break. As we enter a new calendar year, we look forward to the second half of the 20-21 school year. Many of our extra-curricular activities have been postponed due to COVID-19 and as we enter into the heart of the school year, I am encouraging you as parents, grandparents, guardians and families to do a few or all of the following activities over the next few months:
1) Try to have 3 family dinners together every weeka. https://thefamilydinnerproject.org/
2) Play more board games and less video games
3) Take a family walk, run or hike
4) Kids cook parents dinner once a week (well maybe only once)
5) Do a family movie night
6) Complete a puzzle or Lego set together
7) Cook a meal for an elderly neighbor
8) Handwrite letters to friends/family
9) Send someone flowers for no reason
10) Lastly, because we are postponing Cornwall Reads this year, read a family chapter book together and if a movie is associated with it – see #5
In addition, we will be confronted with cold weather over the next few months. Please dress your child accordingly, especially while waiting at the bus stop. I am requesting that you be aware of your child’s attire on a daily basis and take precautions with warm clothing. We do not want to see any child be cold or harbor an unwanted illness. Again, please be mindful of the weather and your child’s dress each day. In the event that we have an early dismissal or school closing, please make the necessary child care arrangements to prepare for school delays and closings with the onset of the winter season.
We want to extend a big THANK YOU to our PTO as they facilitated a safe and successful holiday shop in the midst of COVID-19. It was incredible to see the excitement in the students’ eyes as they got to shop for their family, friends and beloved pets.
Finally, thank you for the continued support, as we keep moving forward with the 20-21 school year. It is our privilege, at Cornwall, to serve, teach and interact with your children every day.
Mr. Nathanial Artz
Calendar of Events
1. COVID screening: Please continue to monitor students for signs and symptoms for COVID as identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Please contact the school nurse with any concerns at 717-389-1883.
2. Cough Drops and Medication: All medications, including cough drops must be brought to the school or to the nurse by an adult. This is for all students’ safety and district policy. If you are seeing a doctor, and need the medication form, it is available on our school website under the health tab, or in our health office.
3. Hydration: Please send a water bottle with your child’s name on it and encourage them to drink it. This will help keep coughing to a minimum and keeps student’s alert.
4. Clothing Needs: the nurse is in need of sweat pants, long sleeve shirts and unused undergarments. Please be sure to dress student properly for our 20 minutes recess, unless extremely cold, recess is outdoors. If any clothing concerns, please call the health office at 389-1883.
5. Future 6th graders: DOH also mandates that a physical examination be completed on all 6th grade students. This is to help us plan for medical needs and aid in the transition of your student to the middle school. You may return the form to the Cornwall Nurse, or if the exam is completed over the summer, you may forward the form to the middle school nurse.
6. School Exams: Both Dr. Yocum and Dr. Arnold will be visiting the school in February This is for student families who have requested a school exam for their physical and/or dental exams to be completed while at school. Please turn in any private forms that you may have had completed. You may contact the school nurse at 717-389-1883 if you have questions.
News from the District
Did you know?
· Information about any School Closings or Delays will be posted to the District Home page: www.clsd.k12.pa.us and also to the Cornwall-Lebanon School District Facebook page and Twitter (@CLSD_Schools). Be sure to update your weather emergency contact information under the Skylert tab on the parent portal in order to receive calls and emails.
· CLSD Calendar of Events: Please check the District website calendar for updates to events listed in the 2020-2021 CLSD Calendar. Many activities listed in the calendar will have an online option for remote viewing. The link will be posted on the same date on the website calendar: www.clsd.k12.pa.us.
January 2021 Calendar Notes (January is School Directors Recognition Month):
· Friday, Jan. 1: No School – Last Day of Winter Vacation
· Monday, Jan. 4: CLSD Board of School Directors Public Work Session, 5:30 p.m.; Check website for info and a link to view or participate online
· Sunday, Jan. 10: CCHS Winter Band Pops Concert, 2 PM; check website calendar for link to virtual concert
· Monday, Jan. 11: CLSD Board of School Directors regular meeting, 5:30 p.m.; Check website for info and a link to view or participate online
· Wednesday, Jan. 13: CLSD Custodians & Maintenance Workers Recognition Day
· Monday, Jan. 18: School is In Session. This is the weather make-up day for the School Closure on Dec. 17, 2020
· Friday, Jan. 22: End of the 2nd Marking Period/1st Semester
· Monday, Jan. 25: No School for Students (Professional Development Day)
A Reminder from the The Tech Department
Hello and Happy New Year!
As noted in Dr. Domencic’s latest Superintendent’s Message, Cornwall-Lebanon School District “is not looking to make any sudden shifts in learning options, but if we would need to make a shift quickly, it would be important for our elementary students to have a laptop to take and use at home.” Examples of when such a move to virtual learning might occur include when additional time is needed for enhanced deep cleaning of a building; as a replacement for an in-person snow make-up day; or, in the event of a state ordered closure.
We want to ensure that our elementary students are prepared to access their classes online in case of such a move to a virtual learning day in order to avoid interruption to their education. Students who already have access to home/personal devices may use those devices to access their educational content.
If your student does NOT have access to a device at home, please complete one survey form for each of your students who will need a device to continue learning in a virtual setting. This survey will close at midnight on Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021, to allow us time to prepare the devices to be handed out to the students in their classrooms.
Inclement Weather Procedures
Inclement Weather Procedures & Skylert Notification System:
The decision to close school or open two hours later will be announced before 7:00 AM on the CLSD Home page, www.clsd.k12.pa.us, as well as on the Cornwall-Lebanon School District Facebook and Twitter pages (@CLSD_Schools), and on local radio and TV stations. The Skylert automated notification system also will be used to contact parents/guardians during the school day in the event of a building power failure, hazardous situation, or an early dismissal. Please review the important information that is printed inside the front cover of the CLSD 2019-20 Calendar of Events. The District website is the first place important information is posted. Please, do not contact school or District offices in the case of these events as it is important for our phone lines to be available for emergency communications.
Remember, the Skylert notification system is only as accurate as the information you have provided to the District. Be sure your phone and email settings allow (does not Block) these three numbers: (717) 272-2031, (717) 272-2036, and (717) 389-1810, and emails from addresses ending in @clsd.k12.pa.us. Please review your information in Skylert, as well, and make any updates (for general information sharing, including school closings):
1. Login to your Skyward account.
2. Click the word “Skylert” in the left menu.
3. Fill-in and check or uncheck your desired settings.
4. Click “SAVE” in the upper right side of the page when you are done.