Godzilla Gazette, 34
Week of May 4, 2015
- From Grace
- The Reflective Practitioner
- Weekly Events
- For Your Information
Hello, everyone! Happy May! This week is dedicated as Teacher Appreciation Week, and whatever your title, if you work in a school, you are a teacher. The children watch us all and learn from us all - so here's to you! Thank you for the work you do each day. Thank you for persevering and traveling on this journey this year. Our students benefit from your knowledge and skills daily - you are amazing and you are appreciated!
Have a happy week, everyone! Say thank you to your colleague for the work he or she does, bask in the appreciation, and check the calendar!
The Reflective Pracitioner
A Letter from the President
I credit my education to Ms. Mabel Hefty just as much as I would any institution of higher learning.
When I entered Ms. Hefty's fifth-grade class at Punahou School in the fall of 1971, I was just a kid with a funny name in a new school, feeling a little out of place, hoping to fit in like anyone else.
The first time she called on me, I wished she hadn't. In fact, I wished I were just about anywhere else but at that desk, in that room of children staring at me.
But over the course of that year, Ms. Hefty taught me that I had something to say -- not in spite of my differences, but because of them. She made every single student in that class feel special.
And she reinforced that essential value of empathy that my mother and my grandparents had taught me. That is something that I carry with me every day as President.
This is the simple and undeniable power of a good teacher. This is a story that every single kid in this country, regardless of background or station in life, should be able to tell. Sharing stories like these helps underline the vital importance of fighting for that reality.
Today, I'll honor Shanna Peeples as the 2015 National Teacher of the Year -- and I'd like you to share which teacher, like Ms. Hefty, helped shape your education.You can do that here, or by using the hashtag #ThankATeacher online.
Tomorrow, I'll travel to a local library that serves as a hub of learning in the Anacostia community of Washington, D.C. America's librarians, like our teachers, connect us to books and learning resources that help us dream big. They help ensure that we continue learning throughout our lifetime. And that's something that more kids ought to be able to access.
So while I'm at the library, I'll announce new efforts to provide popular books to millions of underprivileged children and young adults around the country and connect more students to their local libraries -- because we know that reading just 20 minutes a day can make a tremendous difference in a student's success.
Online, I want you to join the conversation by sharing which book was critical to making you who you are today using the hashtag #BooksForAll. (We all have one.)
And on Friday, as I work on the commencement address I'll deliver at South Dakota's Lake Area Technical Institute next Friday, I want you to share with me how far community college has taken you. For a number of folks on our staff here, it’s taken them all the way to the White House.
This week, we're focusing on those fundamental people, places, and stories that made us who we are today. So whether it's a teacher who inspired you, a book that changed you, or a college that shaped you -- I want to hear from you. We'll be responding to and sharing your responses all week long.
I'm looking forward to hearing your stories.
President Barack Obama
Teacher and Nurse Appreciation Week!
Monday, May 4, 2015 - C Day - Super Muffin Monday (Muffins and Coffee in the Mail Room)!
- PDAS - 7:50 am - Classroom - Grace
- PDAS - 1:05 pm - Classroom - Grace
- Parent Meeting - 2:00 pm - Office - Thelma, Grace
- Meeting - 3:00 pm - Office - Grace
Tuesday, May 5, 2015 - A Day - Nacho Average Teacher Day (Nachos in the lounge)!
- Cinco de Mayo Assembly - 8:00 am - Cafeteria - All
- SEL Meeting - 10:30 am - Office - Robin, Lynn, Grace
- 504 Meeting - 1:50 pm - Office - Kirstie, Robin, Grace
- 100th Year Planning Meeting - 3:00 pm - Library - Grace, All Invited
- Principal Panel - 6:30-7:30 pm - UT - Grace
Wednesday, May 6, 2015 - B Day - Super Cool Treats Day (Ice Cream for you!
- CST Meeting - 10:10 am - Office - Monica, Elise, Grace
- ARD - 1:05 pm - Office - Angela, Stefanie, Grace
- ARD - 1:50 pm - Office - Angela, Kirstie, Grace
- Maker Space Planning Meeting - 3:00 pm - Library - Grace, All Interested
- Fairy Tale Theater Performance - 6:00 pm - Cafeteria - Chad, Grace, All Invited
Thursday, May 7, 2015 - C Day - Super Thank You Thursday (breakfast from Mason's lunch from PTA, and staff gathering after school)!
- ARD - 8:00 am - Office - Corinda, Kellie, Angela, Grace
- Classroom Use of Cafeteria - 9:00 am - Cafeteria - Corinda, Kellie
- Kindergarten Orientation - 9:00 am - Library, Classrooms - Maria, Mary, Robin, Elise, Grace
- PDAS - 1:55 pm - Classroom - Grace
- Staff Meeting - 3:00 pm - Lounge Across the Street - All Invited
Friday, May 8, 2015 - A Day - Super Sweet Staff Day (A sweet treat to wrap up your week)!
- C-PALLS (PreK), TPRI/DRA (K-2nd Grade) Window Closes
- School-wide Assembly - 7:45 am - Gym - Hall of Honor Presentation
- Hall of Honor Ceremony - 9:00-10:00 am - Cafeteria - Ruthann, Grace
- Field Trip - 9:00 am-1:00 pm - Crowe's Nest Farm - PreK
- CST - 1:05 pm - Office - Stefanie, Grace
- Parent Meeting - 2:00 pm - Grace
- 6th Grade Dance! - 6:30-8:30 pm - Corinda, Kellie, Grace
Saturday, May 9, 2015
- AISD Literacy Summit - 9:00 am - PAC - Grace
For Your Information
- If you need something, ask.
- Arrive and pick up your class from special areas on time - respect each other's time.
- Take attendance every day through TEAMS
- Ensure 504, IEP, ELL, and Gifted Accommodations are being followed
- Actively supervise your students - Spread out at recess to monitor each area.
- Check our calendar for important events
- Have fun!
Kudos: Do you know of something good? Share it with Grace to be included here or write it in the comments below!
- To all for a productive class list meeting - great job!
- To Brett for stepping in wherever needed!
- To Monica for being willing to give up her own substitute for her colleague!
- To Robin for expediting needed assessment for student!
- To Cindy W. and Janie for digging into intensive tutoring for 5th Grade!
- To Cindy S. for preparing our new ChromeBook cart!
- To Thelma, Alma, Sharon, Anthony, and Becky for putting up with new construction and problem-solving along the way!
- STAAR Reading 2nd Administration - May 12
- Fairy Tale Theater School-wide Performance - May 13
- Fine Arts Night - May 14
- CAC Meeting - May 18
- Salute! - May 19
- Track and Field Day - May 22
- Memorial Day Holiday - May 25
- Tapestry Dance Assembly - May 26
- Staff Meeting - May 28
- End of Year Party! - May 29
Website to Explore:
- http://www.cellsalive.com/ - From edutopia: CELLS Alive! represents 30 years of capturing film and computer-enhanced images of living cells and organisms for education and medical research. The site has been available continuously and updated annually since May of 1994 by Jim Sullivan, and now hosts over four million visitors a year.the 30th . Enjoy exploring!