January JFK Counseling Newsletter
Happy New Year 2023!!
Happy New Year, Cougars!
There is NO SCHOOL on MONDAY, January 16th in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.
TIPS FOR MAKING FINALS WEEK SUCCESS & SMOOTH!
2. EAT WELL & HYDRATE!
3. Find a quiet place to study away from distractions.
4. Create a music playlist to help you focus!
5. Limit social media and screen time, especially before bedtime!
6. Take short breaks, get outside and get some fresh air.
7. Study with a friend.
8. Do not procrastinate! Plan out your study time, so you do not feel overwhelmed or are cramming!
9. Have a positive attitude and always BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!
Class registration for 2023/24 school year
SENIORS!! SAVE THE DATE! CASH FOR COLLEGE is coming to Kennedy!
JOHN F KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL
Get help filling out your FAFSA/CAADA
Bring your parent or guardian to meet with professionals from the CA Student Aid Commission.
All seniors in the state of California are required to fill out the FAFSA*
This is FREE money for college OR trade school!!
PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR AN EMAIL ANNOUNCING LOCATION.
*all seniors must fill out FAFSA unless opting out by filling out opt out forms.
Taking care of yourself...
- Share your feelings- Talking about things you are going through can lift a weight off your shoulders.
- Practice gratitude- Focus on people, things, and opportunities that make you feel thankful.
- Express your thoughts in writing or creatively (dance, draw, paint, build).
- Practice mindfulness by staying in the moment- Use the 5 senses to ground you. What are you currently seeing, hearing, smelling, touching, and tasting?
- Instead of letting worries linger begin to problem solve.
- Nature is good for us. Taking a walk in the park, playing with your animals, and fresh air is healthy for you.
- Ask for help if you need it.
- Use positive self talk- Speak to yourself as kindly as you do a friend. Tell yourself daily 3 things you did well.
- Be kind to yourself when you make mistakes. These are opportunities to learn and grow.
- Have healthy habits- Eat well, exercise, and get enough sleep.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN ATTENDING SACRAMENTO CITY COLLEGE NEXT YEAR?!
A rep from Sacramento City College is at Kennedy every Tuesday during the school day to meet with seniors individually to help them with the process of getting enrolled. See below for the steps to enroll. Students can also get help applying to the other local community colleges (CRC, ARC or Folsom Lake).
Email Ms. Avelar to sign up for a meeting with Sac City @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps to enroll at Sacramento City College:
- Apply to the college
- Apply for Financial Aid preferably by March 2nd- Either the FAFSA or DACAA
- Set up your E-Services and Los Rios Gmail
- Set up an appointment with a college counselor to make an Education Plan to map out your required classes
- Attend college orientation
- Enroll in classes (early May)