Blue Valley Early Childhood
From the Principal
Sending a "split week" Happenings since next week is a short one!
Please accept my sincere wishes for a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season. It is reassuring to know that while it seems we'll need to be as careful as ever over the coming months -- if not more so -- there appears to be light at the end of this tunnel. While I wish my kids were going to celebrate the season with their grandparents, we know that our sacrifice now means holidays to come.
While we are not quite at the semester yet, winter break always makes me look back. It has been astounding to see how the children have grown and changed since the start of school! Thank you for sharing this special time in their lives with us.
And one more time in case you still need it... Click here for a staff list in case you don't have the names you need...
Reminder -- we will have school through Tuesday of next week, and then be on winter break until January 4.
The Blue Valley Board of Education approved revisions to the 2020-21 school year calendar thanks to new guidance from the Kansas State Board of Education associated with inclement weather days and new professional learning opportunities in the second semester. The revised calendar includes additional No School days in January and February, as well as a full week for Spring Break. Other highlights include:
- Jan. 15, 2021: No school EC-12; ½ day professional learning and ½ day grade preparation
- Feb. 25, 2021: No school EC-12; parent-teacher conferences
- March 15-19, 2021: Spring Break
- April 23, 2021: Professional learning day shifted from April 19 to April 23 (this means school will now be in session on April 19)
A complete copy of the revised 2020-21 school year calendar can be found online.
In addition, the Board reviewed the proposed 2022-23 school year calendar. The calendar is available for review on Blue Valley’s website. Comments can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The board will vote on the 2022-23 calendar at the February meeting.
Repeated Information -- In case you missed it
Mark your Calendar for December 21 Restaurant Night!
Give us a Call!
COVID Communication for Families
The safety of Hilltop students and staff continues to be a top priority. In an effort to keep our school community informed when we have a positive case, families can expect the following:
- Families will be contacted directly if through the contact tracing process conducted by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) and the district's health professionals' team:
1. your child was identified as a low-risk exposure of a student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
2. your child was identified as a high-risk exposure/close contact of a student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- If your child’s proximity to or nature of the interaction with the positive individual did not indicate a low or high-risk exposure, then you will not be contacted.
NOTE: Positive cases by school are reflected on the BV COVID Dashboard. The dashboard is updated every Friday with information from the prior week (Wednesday to Wednesday).
Help for Families
If you find that your family is in need of this kind of help at this time, please make a confidential contact with DeLynn Jenkins, School Social Worker, by clicking here or calling 913-624-2900 and asking for DeLynn.
If you would like to offer your support for this organization, click the image to visit their website.
Late pickup and dropoff
We understand that sometimes things happen beyond your control. If you know that you will be late picking up or dropping off, please call our front desk at 913-624-2900. Teachers may not see email or be able to pick up the phone when they are busy with instruction, but the office staff can get a message to them.
If you are dropping off late, please use the front entrance, remain in your car, and call 913-624-2900, and we will send a staff member out for your child. Thank you for not coming into our lobby area without calling first.
Helpful Hints for Arrival and Dismissal
I have been so pleased with how easily you have all adapted to our new arrival/dismissal procedures. Thank you for making this such a success! This is a much safer practice that allows us to minimize exposure between students from different parts of our school.
A few helpful hints that will make a smoother process for all:
- We prefer for all families to use our driveways to avoid congestion around our entryways.
- Thanks for keeping your car tag visible, even as you stand with your child.
- We appreciate that you are leaving your masks on throughout the arrival/dismissal process.
I'm especially grateful that nearly everyone has respected our time window for arrival and dismissal. This ensures that staff can remain focused on their duties before, during, and after those windows, including careful cleaning of the classroom between sessions. If you know that you will be late, please call ahead, and then let us know when you arrive by calling 913-624-2900. We will free someone up to come out for/with your child.
Thanks for traveling carefully around our campus among the many other vehicles including BVRC patrons, BV district staff, school buses and another transport vehicles. I'll try to make you aware when I know that we'll have other times of increased traffic, such as advanced voting or student testing in the Conference Center.
Click the image for the Hilltop Family Handbook
Click the image for the Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Don't forget to share this with anyone who is helping you with transportation!
Click the image for the video walkthrough of our handbook
- we continue to experiment with clips or other ways to keep masks handy if they slip off
- since they are being worn for longer durations, thanks for washing masks daily, or at least every other day.
- thanks for all you are doing to support and promote mask wearing -- it makes a difference!
PTA Needs You!
The PTA can ALWAYS use your help!
We have many officer, chairman, and committee member positions to fill for the 2020-2021 school year. Even one hour makes a difference! Please click here for available positions and descriptions. Experience does not matter, returning and former board members will provide training.
Not a member yet?
Did you sign up for PTA during online registration through ParentVue? Due to confidentiality practices, we are not permitted to share your information with the PTA board. Click Here to share your information and get on their email list. More events and opportunities come with your membership!!
Want to join the list???
If you would like to be added to Tracy's list, please send her a message at email@example.com .