Pearl S. Buck Elementary
February 12, 2016
Progress Reports for 2nd Marking Period
SCHOOL WILL BE CLOSED
Tuesday, 2/16 (Teacher In-Service)
Cold Weather Reminders
Your child should come to school dressed appropriately for the weather. Recess will occur outside as long as the ambient and wind-chill temperatures are at or above 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
The next PTO meeting will occur this coming Thursday, February 18th, beginning at 7:00 PM in our library.
And now, a word from our Counselor....
During the past two weeks, students in selected lunch bunches created "Coping Boxes". The nicely designed boxes contain coping skills cards from which they can draw when they're feeling sad, angry, confused or exhausted. During the introductory lunch bunch session, coping skills were defined and each student generated a list that worked for them and then scribed the list onto their cards.
Come Fly With Me....
First graders in Mrs. Kuriger’s class celebrated Fly Guy’s 10th birthday. Each child went on adventures with Fly Guy for 1 week and wrote a diary of their adventures. We even have some great photos of Fly Guy at Pizza Bingo, at restaurants, playing in the snow, walking with the family dog, and having lots of fun! The children have also read about some of Fly Guy’s other adventures in author Tedd Arnold’s Fly Guy series of books. We also solved a Fly Guy Wordzz Search and decoded a special birthday message (using our addition skills!). Next, we will read some of Fly Guy’s nonfiction books and learn some new information. Hope we find good buzz words!
Did you know....?
- The giving of Valentines started during the 17th century
- Mickey Mouse's valentine is Minnie
- Approximately 36 million boxes of chocolate were sold for St. Valentine's Day in 2003
- " Ie Ovele Ouye" is I Love You in the magical language of Pig Latin
- ...and here's a timely one: In 1947 the coldest weather ever recorded in the North America was at Snag, Yukon: -63 °C or -81 °F. So...no complaining this weekend.