WMS Friday Forecast
October 26, 2018 - Week 10
RedHawk Check is coming to WMS: Positive Interactions with Positive Results!
RedHawk Check is a system for positively connecting with students need additional support with connecting to Wredling Middle School or meeting expected school-wide and classroom behaviors. At Wredling, we focus on Being Respectful, Being Responsible, and Being Positive. Students in RedHawk Check will have more opportunities to interact positively with adults around our expectations and to ensure that they are set up for success each day.
Students will be identified to be in this intervention based on the number of office referrals they get, a behavior rating scale, and/or teacher recommendation. We will provide kids with honest and accurate, yet positive feedback on their behavior. During each class period, they are awarded points based on those three target areas. If they meet their goal and experience success, they receive “RedHawk Bucks” that can be used for positive rewards.
Students who show growth and improvement may be on RedHawk Check for only 4-6 weeks, while others may stay on longer based on their need to learn and grow. Some may even choose to stay on RedHawk because they like the positive interaction with adults!
If your child is chosen to be on RedHawk Check, they will be given more opportunities for changing their behaviors through positive reinforcement. Below is the scoring grid on which students get points, along with a rubric that describes how we look at each point.
We exceeded our goal of $20,000 this year which is going to give our PTO the opportunity to extend the great work they do on behalf of our students. It is your support, financially. with school work, and with behavior, that really makes the difference.
Thank you and enjoy your weekend!
NEXT WEEK IS WMS SPIRIT WEEK!
Jennifer A. Nielsen Author Visit!
Wredling is so excited to host Jennifer A. Nielsen on Monday, November 5th. Jennifer A. Nielsen is a New York Times best-selling author who wrote her first novel at age 11. All students will be able to attend her presentation and learn more about her life and career.
Along with presenting, she will be autographing copies of her books that have been purchased through pre-order. Use this form to pre-order your own copy of one (or more) of her books! Please return form and money by Friday, November 2nd to the LRC. Please make any checks payable to Wredling Middle School.
We know this will be a memorable event for our students and staff.
Picture Retakes - THIS MONDAY - October 29th
- Retakes are for students who were absent, are new or need a retake.
- Picture packages from our September 24th photo date were distributed this week.
- If you want to have your student's pictures retaken, you MUST RETURN the entire portrait package from our September 24th picture day.
WMS Halloween Guidelines
This year at WMS we are going to allow costumes on Halloween (Wednesday, October 31). Here are my guidelines:
- If you are going to wear a costume, I also expect that you have come to school ready to learn on Halloween.
- All costuming must happen at home. That includes any hair of make-up.
- The costume must be school appropriate.
- There are no masks allowed.
- There can be nothing that you carry around that is extra. (ie. weapons, scythes, clubs, dolls, etc.)
- Teachers are expected to teach that day, though they may have Halloween themed lessons.
- There will be no Halloween parties. Or candy. Or other treats. Because you will get enough junk at night if you trick or treat.
- After Halloween, you can only bring a couple of pieces of candy per day. If you bring more, I will get it and eat it. And I don't need any more candy. And throw away your wrappers in the garbage, please.
The front office will be dressing in a Harry Potter theme. Feel free to join us!
This calendar is always being updated - especially at the beginning of the year! We are currently in the process of getting all of the club information on there!
WMS BOOK FAIR IS COMING!
Our Book Fair in partnership with Scholastic is coming soon - Mark your calendar! CLICK HERE to check out the flyer! Your reader will have an opportunity to walk through the Book Fair in the LRC and choose books they may want to purchase. Plan to stop by yourself for some great reads and do some holiday shopping!
Held the week of November 12th - 16th, the hours will be:
- 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday through Wednesday
- 8:00 am - 4:00 pm AND 6:00 - 9:00 pm Thursday - We are open LATE in conjunction with the WMS Choir Concert! Come to hear some great singing and do a little shopping too!
- 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Friday
- 9:00 am - 7:00 pm Monday, November 19th during Conferences
There is a Book Fairs App and an online shopping option!
HOPE> Day Recap
Join the WMS RedHawk Wrestling Team!
Wrestling is an excellent opportunity to get involved in a unique team sport at Wredling. Wrestling is a lot of fun, it helps kids to build confidence, discipline and get into shape and/or stay healthy. It also gives athletes the advantage of working on individual skills while competing both as an individual and as a team. Want more information on the Wrestling team? Contact Coach Martin Gabel. Our Team always has room for more teammates!
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!!
Thanks to you our PapaNicholas and Write-A-Check Fundraisers were a HUGE SUCCESS! Thank you to all of the great families that supported these wonderful fundraisers. We are so pleased to announce that we have a profit for the PapaNicholas Fundraiser of nearly $12,000.00. The Write-A-Check campaign brought in $9,975.00. We would like to thank Amy Schmidt for donating and printing the PapaNicholas order forms. Thank you to the parent volunteers that purchased the gift cards for the raffle drawings. We have reached and surpassed our goal of $20,000.00, and we THANK YOU for all of your support.
We are excited in the ways our PTO will be able to support our kids and teachers through the year.
Fundraising Chairs- Brenda Szerlong, Shannon Sullivan, and Debbie Wright.
ANGST FOLLOW-UP SESSION #1
SIGN UP USING THE FORM BELOW
Talking to your Child about the Dangers of Drug & Alcohol Use
On December 4, Matthew Quinn, Licensed Counselor from Rosecrance will be our guest at a Parent University program entitled, “Talking to your Child about the Dangers of Drug and Alcohol Use.” Mr. Quinn will provide parents with information and resources that will:
>Help them identify major risk factors for drug use among youth/adolescents
>Teach them the signs of drug use and appropriate responses
>Provide them with tools to implement practical steps that prevent children from gaining access to opioid drugs
>Increase awareness of trends and current terminology surrounding drug use
>Gain awareness of the long-term health effects of vaping and e-cigarettes
The abuse of alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drugs are the leading cause of preventable accidents, premature death, and disability among young people. While today's youth are among the most vulnerable in our communities for experiencing these adverse effects, research demonstrates that parent awareness and influence is critical in prevention and in getting the right help.
As part of this program, Nicole Cook, Mrs. America 2019 will share her personal story on how opioid abuse impacted her family in a tragic way.
SIGN UP USING THE FORM BELOW
Fiddler on the Roof, Jr!
CLICK HERE to purchase tickets online!
Pumpkin Smash & Compost Events
City of St. Charles, IL News Release:
Don't let those Halloween Jack-O-Lanterns go to waste in a landfill. Pumpkins and squash are full of nutrients that can be composted and used as fertilizer for spring planting. If you don't have a compost bin, there are a few places you can bring your pumpkins to be composted:
- Pushing The Envelope Farm, 1700 Averill Road in Geneva - Bring your pumpkins Nov. 4 from 9 a.m. to noon, sponsored by Kane County and the Northern Illinois Food Bank.
- The Great Pumpkin Bowl - Nov. 4 at Pottawatomie Park from 1-3 p.m. $5/person, benefitting St. Charles Underground. First you can knock down bowling pins with your pumpkin, and then you can smash it! The Park District adds the pumpkin pieces to their compost pile.
- SCARCE Pumpkin Smash Events - For a list of more than 20 pumpkin smash events around Illinois, visit www.scarce.org/pumpkins.
Before you drop off your pumpkin, please remove any decorations, candles, stickers etc.