Family Faith News
Holy Family Parish
Week of July 19, 2020
Our Family Faith Formation Program-Looking Ahead
Since we can not meet as a group as our in-person sessions were traditionally held, we are exploring new ways to connect with our families. Beginning in August, we will hold Parent faith-based Zoom sessions, led by Deacon Nelson. Similar to our monthly Family Faith parent sessions, Deacon Nelson will lead these meetings, however rely on your insight, sharing, and participation. More details are to come.
In the meantime, please use this link to provide us your feedback and suggestions.
Mass Readings for July 19: Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
“He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man, the field is the world; and the good seed, these are the children of the Kingdom; and the darnel weeds are the children of the evil one. The enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. As therefore the darnel weeds are gathered up and burned with fire; so will it be at the end of this age. The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will gather out of his Kingdom all things that cause stumbling, and those who do iniquity, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be weeping and the gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine forth like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
Hearing these words, we are reminded to reflect on our own ways. Jesus creates these parallels to self evaluate our own practices:
He who sows the good seed = the Son of Man
The field = the world
The good seed = the children of the Kingdom
The weeds = the children of the evil one
The enemy = the devil
The harvest = the end of the age
The reapers = the angels
Use the link and video below to guide your discussion on this weekend's readings.
Activities for Family
Try These Fun Family Activities to Teach the Gospel!
Below are fun, creative activities that use everyday items to model how we should strive to be the harvest in our world!
- WEEDS ART: Let the children go outside and pick some weeds to glue onto a piece of brown paper. Tell children that we are ALL born "weeds" but that God wants us to NOT be weeds any longer and wants us to produce good fruit! Children can make the weeds into an ART piece to show that GOD wants us to make something beautiful out of the weeds!
- SHOVEL FUN: Give each child a very small toy shovel. Let them write important phrases from today's Bible verse on the shovel, or attach a mini-card with today's verse written on it. Attach it to the handle with a small string or rope.
- CHURCH DRAWING: Give children a picture of our church building or have them draw a picture and draw many flowers around the church in various colors. On the church building or on the drawing of the church door, have children write, "Keep the weeds out of the church".
- FRUIT BOWL: While teaching about producing fruit and not weeds during today's lesson, let the children enjoy small bites of fruit in a bowl. Ask the children to give examples of the kind of fruit they would like to produce in their own lives!
- WEEDS & FRUIT CHART GAME: On a poster, draw two columns with the headings, WEEDS and FRUIT. Have the children write examples of the "weeds" in our lives and the "fruit" that we could produce in our lives. If you want to play it as a game, have 2 teams-one team is for WEEDS and the other team is FRUIT. See which team can come up with the most ideas. Give children fruity candy snacks at the end of the game.
- FRUIT ART: Let children draw or find fruit pictures to create a collage. Add the words PRODUCING GOOD FRUIT FOR THE LORD as the title of the collage. Let the children decorate or draw a frame around their art as a special remembrance of today's lesson!
- DRAW A SCENE: Read the bible passage again to your child, each verse separately. For each verse, have your child draw a picture on an index card to illustrate the Gospel. You can use this video as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5brmrjlTdRA
Uplift Video of the Week!
World-Wide Amazing Grace
In this video, Christians from 50 different countries, our brothers and sisters in Christ, sing the beautiful song, Amazing Grace. With all our differences and difficulties, we remember that our love and faith in God brings us together.
Holy Family Parish
- Register online: holyfamilyparishnewbrunswicknj.flocknote.com
- Text holyfamilyforall to 84576 (or 202-765-3441 in Spanish)