Davis/Martin Weekly Update
February 8 - February 12
We have quite a busy week ahead! This Tuesday, the 9th, spring pictures will be taken. If you plan on ordering any, send your child to school with their order form. Mid-Quarter reports go home on Wednesday, the 10th. These should be signed and returned to school as soon as possible. Students will also have their progress report towards meeting their 5 chapter book requirement. Third quarter ends on Friday, March 11th.
Our Make A Wish fundraiser kicked off last week and runs through this Friday. Students have been learning all about the foundation and what the money raised is used for. This is a great cause to donate towards. Students may purchase stars for $1.
Friday, February 12th is our Make A Wish Celebration and Valentine's Day Party. Students will be celebrating their teamwork and money raised for Make A Wish through music and dancing in the gym.
February Scholastic book order forms were sent home Friday. All student orders must be turned in by Friday, February 19th. To submit an order online, go to Mrs. Martin's weebly page: http://martin5thgrade.weebly.com/ and follow the directions listed.
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
IN READING & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Reading: Students will continue to work on determining importance in nonfiction text, which includes understanding main idea.
- Week 19 Vocabulary: pell-mell, negligent, undeniable, scuffle
- Social Studies: Students will finish their Colony Creation project. We will move into learning about the Revolutionary War.
IN MATH & SCIENCE:
- Science: We are starting our Light Unit. We will learn about light absorption, reflection, & refraction.
- Math: We are focusing on multiplying numbers and decimals.
- We have implemented a new web-based curriculum called MobyMax in our classrooms. MobyMax is tailored to your child's individual needs, and we think you will be very impressed by how fast your child will excel while using Moby. Students will be responsible for logging in practice time, look for a MobyMax Log to come home Monday.
- Students can continue to work on Khan Academy and Front Row Math.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly MobyMax Log: 1 round of Fact Fluency and at least 10 minutes of Math, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's math grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.
- Have you downloaded the Nettleton app? If not, go to your app store and search for Nettleton Public Schools. You will be able to email staff, receive information regarding school closing and much more!
Mon. Feb. 8: Honor Roll Pancake Breakfast for 5th grade
Tues. Feb. 9: Spring Pictures
Wed. Feb. 10: Mid-Quarter grades go home & D.A.R.E.
Fri. Feb.12: Make a Wish Celebration and Valentine's Party
Mon. Feb. 15: President's Day - No School
Fri. Feb. 19: Scholastic book orders due
Fri. Feb. 26: Bring Your Own Electronics - ticketed event
Fri. March 11: End of 3rd Quarter
Thurs. March 17: Parent Teacher Conferences (2 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
Fri. March 18: Professional Development: NO SCHOOL
Mon. March 21 - Fri. March 25: SPRING BREAK