Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
January 15, 2016
Ms. Bousman's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @amy_bousman
Upcoming Dates to Remeber
Jan 18th- no school
Feb 1-19th- Pennies for Patients
Feb 5th- 1/2 Day for Students
Feb 5th- Family STEAM Night
Feb 15- No School
Feb 16- Flex Day
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- No School
- Tuesday- Day 4- Music
- Wednesday- Day 5- Art
- Thursday- Day 6 PE
- Friday- Day 1- Music
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
- We will be comparing and contrasting two articles or books.
- We will be working on test taking skills...what good reader's do ALL the time.
- We will continue small reading groups.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- This week we will continue to determine the value of a collections of bills and coins. This is a skill easily practiced at home with real coins! :)
- We will compare amounts of collections of coins and bills.
- We will work on making change.
- We will have a study guide on Thursday and a test over money on Friday.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- This week we wrote letters to Mrs. Curran trying to persuade her that we need a new piece of equipment for our playground...we had everything from soccer goals to trampolines. Ask your child what they asked for!
- We will continue writing opinion and persuasive pieces.
- We will also be doing some on demand writing- what do you do when someone gives you a topic to write about?
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.
If you can imagine it... you can explore it!! We continue to study topics of our choice during Genius Hour ...one of best times of the week! The students have started exploring how to make things...they first must research it and write about it, they then need to make it and present about it. They are having so much fun they don't even know they are learning! :)
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
Family STEAM Night
Get excited and mark your calendars for our first TCE FAMILY S.T.E.A.M. NIGHT on Friday, February 5th from 5:30-7:30pm. STEAM is an educational term to describe real world opportunities for students to learn with science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math. At the TCE FAMILY STEAM NIGHT, TCE students and their family members of all ages are welcome to come and participate in a variety of unique, educational STEAM experiences. Participants will travel as a family (children with their adults) to share in the learning process! Pizza will be available in the cafeteria for families to purchase. More details will be forthcoming! We hope you plan to be there!
Background Checks & Anti-bullying Video
If you want to volunteer, chaperone fieldtrips or eat lunch in the cafeteria, guests must have an approved background check on file and complete the Anti-bullying video. Background checks are good for 3 years. If you have questions about your background check, contact the TCE office.