The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 26/September 27, 2020
Humbly Regard Others as More Important than Yourself!
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/092720.cfm
- "Your Magnificent Chooser: Teaching Kids to Make Godly Choices" by John Ortberg
- "The Golden Acorn" by Katy Hudson
- "What's My Super Power? " by Aviaq Johnston
- "Have you Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids" by Carol McCloud and David Messing
Articles for Parents: click on the PDF below to read this sample chapter from 7 Keys to Spiritual Wellness by Joe Paprocki. This chapter focuses on the virtue of humility. What does it really mean to be humble and how does humility bring you closer to God?
Blog Post for Teens: https://lifeteen.com/blog/10-things-humility-not/
- List 10 ways your family can put others first in October
- Make a chart with your child that shows PRIDEFUL actions on one side and HUMBLE actions on the other. Together, fill out the chart showing ways that your family can replace selfish or prideful actions with more humble, selfless actions.
- After reading "Have You Filled A Bucket Today?" listed above, make a list of "bucket fillers" and "bucket dippers" together as a family. Place the list in an important place to remind everyone in the family to focus on filling the bucket of others.
- Create a mind map of your friends and family and list all their great qualities.
- The Litany of Humility is a powerful prayer composed by Rafael Cardinal Merry de Val who was the Secretary of State to St. Pius X. Though long, the nature of the prayer helps the speaker to focus on all that is drawing he or she away from Christ and toward the need to be the focus of attention. How might this prayer be used as a focus for discussion with your adolescent? https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/devotions/litany-of-humility-245
- The Five Finger Prayer below is a great way to teach children humility by having the smallest finger represent prayers for yourself; putting your needs AFTER others.
- Use these templates to create a collaborative mural on putting others first. Write how you will do it with sharpie on your finished product and put it in a special spot in the house: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Radial-Symmetry-COLLABORATIVE-KINDNESS-Activity-Coloring-Page-kindnessnation-2967600
- Draw your super hero self! On your drawing, write all the things that make you uniquely special. Around your drawing, write what is your "kryptonite:" what are the challenges you face?
- How could you use your special skills to help others?
- What could you give up to put others first?
- Is there anything you have that is more than you need? What could you share with others?
- How could being humble open the door to better friendships and family relationships?
- Why do some people always think they are better than others? Do you think there might be something happening in their own lives that makes them feel small or alone?
Want to learn more about scripture?
Sunday, Oct. 18th, 12pm
This is an online event.
A monthly cooking show on Zoom where you interact with peers, learn a new recipe, and hear a bit about a saint. This is a great way to explore your faith and meet other Catholic young adults!