Holly Academy News & Views
November 22, 2019
“Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” ~ Henry Van Dyke
We are so thankful for our Husky families. The myriad of ways you support us each and every day is greatly appreciated! Whether you are volunteering, fundraising, making donations or sharing words of praise, we want you to know how much it means to us all! Holly Academy Staff and Board of Directors wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Have a peaceful and lovely day with your Huskies and a restful mini-break!
Healthy Michigan Plan
Starting January 1, 2020, Michigan law requires some people with Medicaid health care coverage through the Healthy Michigan Plan (HMP) to work or do other activities, like job search, for at least 80 hours each month. Please see the link below.
Did You Know...
Fun facts about our Young 5 and Kindergarten team:
- Ms. Bunyak is part of the Disney Vacation Club and heads to Disney World at least once a year?
- Mrs. Foss attended Eastern Michigan University on music and academic scholarships?
- Mrs. Melero is the third generation in her family to attend Northern Michigan University and go into the field of education?
- Mrs. Idoni is 11 days away from becoming a first time grandma to a sweet baby girl, Sterling Idoni? Please help her come up with the perfect grandma name – she welcomes all ideas!
Holly Academy offers Spanish to students every other day beginning in Young 5's. This affords our students the opportunity to become increasingly conversational and knowledgeable about Spanish speaking countries and cultures. Many of our students test out of Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 when they go to high school. Students who successfully test out of those classes, receive high school credits for them, allowing them to take additional electives in high school. In addition to the Spanish classes students take at Holly Academy, we have other Spanish opportunities. In middle school this year, students have two Spanish elective choices. Mr. Summers teaches a Spanish Art and Food elective and Mrs. Stefanko and Mr. Summers co-teach Spanish Drama. Spanish Drama is a two marking period course that culminates in a live stage presentation. This year, our students will perform The Wizard of Oz on Friday, March 20th.
Mystery Number of the Week Winners
Each week students are shown a picture of a container of objects. They are then asked to estimate how many objects there are in the picture. They are given clues to help narrow down the possibilities. The students write their guesses on a slip of paper and are entered in a drawing each Friday. Last week's winners were:
Y5-2 Brayson Warner-Cook
3-5 Addison Brazel
6-8 Taryn Craven
We are proud of your math skills Brayson, Addison, and Taryn! Dare to be remarkable!
- Nov. 25-26 - Half day of school, dismissal at 11:30am
- Nov. 25 - Parent-teacher conferences (uniform only)1:00-4:30pm & 5:30-8:00pm
- Nov. 26 - Parent-teacher conferences (uniform only)1:00-4:30pm
- Nov. 27 - Half day of school, (free dress down) dismissal at 11:30am
- Nov. 28 - Happy Thanksgiving
- Nov. 29 - No school
- Dec. 2-6 - Hearing testing for grades Y5-K, 2nd & 4th grades
- Dec. 5 - Y5/K/1st grade concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 5 - PTO meeting at 8:00am in media center
- Dec. 6 - Adopt-a-Family dress down day, $1.00
- Dec. 9 - Board meeting, 5:30pm in media center
- Dec. 10 - 2nd/3rd grade concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 12 - 4th/5th grade concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 13 - Half day of school, dismissal at 11:30am
- Dec. 17 - AAE/Pan Jams concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 18 - Coffee & Converstion 8:00am
- Dec. 19 - Band/Choir Concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 18 - 5th grade Mackinac fundraiser at Hungry Howies in Holly
- Dec. 20 - PTO dress down, $1.00
- Dec 23-Jan. 3 - No school, Happy Holidays!!
If your child is in need of any of these items, please feel free to stop by and grab what you need.
Nobel Prize Day is December 10
This summer, you can learn from Nobel Prize-winning National Inventors Hall of Fame® Inductees at Camp Invention®! In this all-new program, you will team up with your friends to solve fun STEM challenges from these world-changing inventors.
When: June 22-26th, 2020
Time: 9am-3:30pm (before/aftercare is available)
Where: Holly Academy
For children entering grades K - 6
SAVE $25 expires 3/31/20. Promo code DSB25
SAVE $15 use between 4/1/20-5/12/20. Promo code DSB15
Secure your spot today hollyacademy.org/ci
Lil' Shopper's Shoppe
If you’d like to volunteer at the shop please sign up here: ttps://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0C4EA4A629ABFD0-holiday
You have finished reading our newsletter! Please stop by the office by 3:00pm on 11/26 to fill out a raffle ticket for a Give Thanks picture board.