With One Voice
News & Notes from St. Francis of Assisi School
"That together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." ~ Romans 15:6
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." ~ Matthew 5:14-16
Mobile viewed best in your browser.
September 30, 2020
Kindergarten, online and in-person, working together to identify /g/ sounds!
Kindergarten, online and in-person, working together to identify /g/ sounds!
Visiting the pollinator garden on Monarch Butterfly Day!
- 10/3 - Virtual Preschool Open House, 11 AM
- 10/6 - HASA General Meeting, 6:30 PM
- 10/7 - SCHOOL CLOSED - Archdiocesan-wide holiday
- 10/9 - Scantron Assessment window ends (gr. 2-8)
- 10/16 - SCHOOL CLOSED - Staff Professional Day
The latest calendar updates can always be found at https://sfa-school.org/calendar
WED. 10/7 - SCHOOL CLOSED
FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT...
- We encourage you to review this website in advance of any future travel and let us know in advance if you plan to be in any states considered a hotspot (10% or greater positivity) - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity.
- Archdiocesan policy prohibits entry to the school building for two weeks after visiting a state with a greater than 10% positivity rate.
- During the 2020–21 academic year, all students in grades 2–8 throughout the Archdiocese of Baltimore will complete a reading, language, and mathematics assessment in the fall, winter, and spring. In the spring, students in grades 3, 5, and 7 will complete science and social studies assessments. These assessments are shorter than the Iowa and CogAT, so the total amount of time testing will be comparable to previous years.
- Since testing in the spring of 2020 was canceled due to school closure, it is essential that we assess students this fall to determine potential content knowledge and skill gaps.
- At SFA, we will be conducting these assessments between 9/21 and 10/9, with no more than one test being administered per day. It is a total of three tests for the fall. Your child's Math and ELA teachers will share the specific date for each test.
- All students will complete these assessments, whether online or in-person.
- Please read the below documents from the Archdiocese with more information.
SFA TOON TRIVIA LIVE!
Friday, Oct. 2nd, 7:30pm
This is an online event.
There's a special TOON TRIVIA LIVE, hosted by our own Mike *Ricig* Ricigliano, this Friday Night - 7:30 pm - and we're hoping, if you have had children attend, if You have attended, or if you're just part of this great community around SFA, that you'll join us for the fun. If you CAN"T Be there (and why wouldn't you want to!) please donate at this link (put TOON TRIVIA in the memo line) Your School needs you!
There will be special guests, and also PRIZES! Snag a gift card to one of these great local locales:
- The Children’s Bookstore
- Maggie’s Farm
- Found Studio
- Silver Queen
- Domesticity [bonus* the owner in an SFA alumna!]
- Emma’s Tea Spot
- Char’d City
- CUPs Coffeehouse
HASA General Meeting
THE 65th ANNUAL SFA TURKEY DINNER - SAVE THE DATE!
- COVID-19 will make this year's Turkey Dinner a little bit different! We are planning to still hold this longstanding school tradition, but we will obviously have to adjust somewhat due to the pandemic.
- This year's dinner will be done with pre-order and then curbside pick-up. The date is Sunday November 8th from 12:30 to 6 PM.
- All fundraising will be moved online, including the Silent Auction and Raffle.
- We will still need volunteer help this year so please SAVE THE DATE! Thank you to Maggie Miller for agreeing to once again chair this important fundraiser!
FAMILY INCOME SURVEY - REQUIRED!!
FROM THE SCHOOL NURSE...
- #MaskHygiene Reminder: Don't share it. Change it daily (or wash it daily). Make sure it is clean. Do not borrow or lend it out. Make sure it fits snug but not too tight.
- It is Cold, Flu, and (still) Covid season! Proper nutrition is the best defense against all of these. Make sure your diet is full of B vitamins, C vitamins, and Zinc this time of year. AND, stay hydrated! (sorry, caffeinated and sugary drinks do not count towards proper hydration)
- Immunizations need to be up to date, and we need documentation by October 5th to avoid interruption for in-person students.
- We are making sure all medical files are up to date. In order to best meet your child’s needs, it is helpful if we are informed of any/all health issues/history your child may have. If you anticipate your child needing medication at school (over-the-counter or prescription), a physician’s order is required with a supply of the medication.
FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR...
- During these stressful times we are all in need of self-care and support from our community more than ever. I wanted to share local as well as digital resources to help you as you navigate these pandemic days.
- Phillip McKnight offers affordable Nature Based Mindful Coaching for all ages and will see families as well. I am currently enrolled in a 6 week Nature Based Stress Reduction class for teachers and school staff that is being taught by Phillip along with a Mindfulbased Counselor. I highly recommend Phillip, click here to learn more: https://www.cmhcweb.com/mindfulnesscoaching?utm_campaign=a75e1cc9-90ff-46ee-a1c2-e84d3b0ca440&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=fe99b09d-b752-4973-9b59-4eb0f0b3abb4
- In addition, Mariposa offers virtual classes and coaching for parents: https://www.mariposaeducation.org/ Click here to learn about the free one hour class they offer every Wednesday at noon: https://mariposa-education.mykajabi.com/sign-up-free-workshop-summer-2020-promoting-resilience-caregivers
- Finally, some apps I recommend: I AM (thanks Ms. DiPietro for sharing this), Calm, Head Space and Smiling Mind.
- Please don't hesitate to reach out if you would like to schedule a time for me to meet with you, your student and/or family. firstname.lastname@example.org
Get SFA branded items delivered to your house in time for Christmas!
Pro Tip: Click the name of the school on the left side to see products! A percentage of every purchase goes directly to support SFA! More items to come! Get your SOAR Swag!
SFA PARISH NEWS & EVENTS
SFA PET BLESSING
This year's famous PET BLESSING will take place on Saturday, October 3, 2020, at 10:00 A.M. on the SFA White Top behind the Rectory. In honor of our patron saint, St. Francis of Assisi, who loved all creation and especially animals, please bring your pets (real or stuffed) for a special blessing from Father Burke. Masks and social distancing will be in effect.
TOGETHER WE PRAY...
- For those affected by the wildfires out West, for the safety of those combatting them, and for an increased embrace of stewardship for our planet in the midst of climate change.
- For all those affected by the Coronavirus, as well as all those tending to the sick, and all those working to advance the cause of science towards cure/treatment.
For the fostering of productive dialogue and real action around social justice, equity, elimination of bias, and the healing of the wounds of systemic racism in our nation.
For +Shannon Reviere, that she might rest in eternal peace, and the entire Reviere family, that they might be consoled in their grief.
For all victims of violence in our city, our nation, and our world.
- For the victims and survivors of cancer, as well as those who continue to fight!
Prayer requests may always be sent to email@example.com.