Eastside: The Greatest School
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
Week of February 25th
Eastside Mission & Vision
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Countdown to the Greatest Show:
Kinder and 1st grade - 13 days
2nd grade - 11 days (due to field trip and PD for GLR)
3rd and 4th grade - 29 days
5th grade - 34 days
Managing Your Students in a Large Group Setting
With Spirit day and the author visit, we will have two times this week when we are meeting as a large group of students and staff. Use these as reminders to assist you in managing your students. Make sure you have PRIDE tickets in hand to give to students doing the right things.
Stay near your students. Rather than standing in the rear with other teachers, sit or stand near your class. You might position yourself near a student who has difficulty controlling himself; your proximity might be enough to keep him under control. If necessary, circulate to make your presence known and to observe your class so you can signal those who misbehave.
Signal students non-verbally. If you anticipate a student might have self-control problems during the assembly, establish a non-verbal signal that you can use to indicate that he needs to quiet down or focus on the program. You might offer a choice of signals and have him select the one he wants you to use. You might, for example, make eye contact, put your finger to your lips, raise your eyebrows, wink, or touch his shoulder.
Give a student prone to misbehavior a job. If one of your students tends to misbehave, consider giving him a task to do during the assembly. You might have him set up chairs, hand out programs, lead classes to their seats, or assist the person in charge of the assembly. The job might not only occupy the student's attention during the assembly, but also boost his self-esteem so he feels less inclined to act in a disruptive manner.
SWEEP OF THE WEEK: Mrs. May's class using the JIGSAW method
Lots of Celebrations in the Team Meeting Room (some now call it Our War Room)
Lil" Dribblers Performance was the GREATEST!!! Some of their fan club was there to support them! Great job Coach Winn, Mrs. Havens, and Ms. Newkirk on your leadership!
Details for the Week
- ACT Aspire interim 3 English 8:30 - 9:15 (timed)
- 3-5 students take the digital learning survey sent out by Havens at 9:15 in homeroom
- Manning, 2nd grade, and Gentry at GLR training at Arch Ford
- Test Bash Dance practice after school with Krogman
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 Reading 8:00 - 8:45 (timed)
- No PROWL
- SIT meets Tuesday morning following testing
- Spring Pictures (Mrs. Patty will call for grades. We will do younger grades first since 3-5 is testing.)
- Deal Dental for prek, kinder, and first grade at 8:30 (see Nurse Leah with any questions)
- Author visit 1:00 for 3rd-5th grade in the cafeteria (5th grade block teachers will go down at 1:30 to watch 5th grade classes, so 5th grade teachers get a prep) and 2:00 for K-2nd (kinder block teachers will go down to watch those classes at 2:20, so kinder teachers can get their prep)
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 Math 8:30 - 9:15 (timed)
- Team meetings - due to testing 3rd - 5th grade will meet as a grade level team
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 Science 8:30 - 9:15 (timed)
- Dr. Howse will be with us. She will work from 8:00 - 10:00 with Graham, Hackett, and Fletcher on K-2 math essential standards. This will be the first step in this process. From 10:00 until end of the day, Dr. Howse will work with 3-5 math teachers.
- Digital Learning Day (see Mrs. Haven's email)
- Dunlap/Manning meet with 5th grade in cafeteria at 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM - This will help us with student voice as they provide lots of information on how to improve our campus. This feedback will be critical to our growth as a school for years to come. (block teachers will walk them down to cafeteria)
- Behavior team meets with Mrs. Manning at 3:20 - 3:40
- Test Bash Dance practice with Krogman after school
- Spirit Day at 8:30
- Seussical at 9:30 performed by 3rd grade in cafeteria for Kinder and 1st grade students
- Read Across America at 10:00 AM and costume contest (see Mrs. Havens with any questions)
- Cafeteria will be serving Cat in the Hat Jello Parfait Cups
- We will have recess meetings this Friday. We will finish up our critical kid list updates that we started last week.
- No MAP PM due to Spirit Day. SIT commenting completing by end of day on Friday with 3-5 and DIBELS with K-2.
- Important News:
1st and 5th grade block will swap places on Monday through Thursday due to interim testing.
We will have the reading passage for your grade level in your boxes at some point on Monday to go home in Monday folders. We had a great amount of participation with the passages from last week!
Please take lots of pictures of your students engaging in the learning this week! Email them to Mrs. Manning and myself. We want to continue to tell Eastside's story through social media.
Supervision of students: I want to remind everyone that it is your job to supervise the students in your care. I had to go back over last week and watch quite a bit of video footage for various incidents. During that time, I noticed a lot of times when students were lined up in the hall unattended or when students were in the classroom without a teacher. Please be aware that if something was to happen and you were not present with your students, this would be a serious matter.
Please turn in your P/T conference sign-in sheet when you are finished w/ your conferences. If you need any help with getting in contact w/ parents, please let us know and we can guide and assist.
ACT Interim 3 makeups will be on Monday, March 4th since Friday will be a little hectic.
BFG - Be sure you are reading our Read As One book!
Mrs. Robertson and her husband will be going on a mission trip this summer to Japan. They will have a fundraiser on March 29th at Bob's grill at 6 PM- $10 for burger meals. Mrs. Robertson wanted everyone to know they are invited.
Staff attendance incentive for the month of January, February and until Spring Break: The PTO will be donating 3 $100 bills for a drawing for staff with Great Attendance. If you have had perfect attendance (not counting PD), you will get three chances to win. If you have missed 1 day (not counting PD), you will get two chances to win. If you have missed 2 days (not counting PD), you will one chance to win. We will draw prior to leaving for Spring Break. Thank you PTO!
Computer Science Word of the Month: LOOP
Character Word of the Month: Kindness
Important Dates (Refer to our EES 2018- 2019 Year at a Glance Calendar in Google Drive)
I have updated the EES Calendar at a glance with lots of new upcoming dates.