J. Robert Oppenheimer
Researched by Johnny Chang
Oppie's Identity in a Nutshell
- Born April 22, 1904
- German Jewish heritage (will bite him in the rump later)
- Grew up in a wealthy family
- His grandfather sparked his interest for science at the age of 5 (rock collection)
- His greatest influence came from his foundational education at the Ethical Culture Society School
- There humanism was planted in his mind which would affect important decisions later in his life
- Attended Harvard in 1922, initially studying chemistry
- Changed his course and graduated summa cum laude (with highest distinction in Physics) 3 years later
- So engrossed in his studies that he was unable to socialize with others
- Age 22, earned his Ph.D. at the University of Göttingen, Germany
- Began the rise of his prominence in theoretical physics while teaching and studying at the University of California Berkley and California Tech.
- Jean Tatlock, a romantic partner, contributes to the development of his support for communism
Historiography: Oppenheimer Security Hearing
Relevance in Another Time Period
If I Were Oppie...
Works Cited (Better Version in Classroom)
Bird, Kai, and Martin J. Sherwin. American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of
J. Robert Oppenheimer. New York: Vintage, 2006. Print.
"J. Robert Oppenheimer (1904 - 1967)." J. Robert Oppenheimer. National Science
Foundation, n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2016.
"J. Robert Oppenheimer." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2016.
"Oppenheimer Security Hearing." Atomic Heritage Foundation. Atomic Heritage Foundation,
n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2016.