All About Fat Soluble Vitamins
What are fat soluble vitamins?
- They are a type of vitamin that can be absorbed and are soluble in fats. Fat soluble vitamins include major sources: vitamins A, D, and E. These vitamins are stored in the body tissues after intake.
SMALL amounts of these vitamins are necessary for good health. If a person takes in too much of a fat soluble vitamin, they can have too much of that vitamin in their body, which can be a dangerous condition that in unhealthy for the body.
Why are they important?
- Fat soluble vitamins are needed in small amounts in an individual's diet for normal function, growth, and maintenance of body tissues in order to be healthy.
- Individuals can get this vitamin by eating fat. It is said that the higher quality the fat, the more likely it contains fat soluble vitamins.
- Vitamin A helps bone growth and helps eyes adjust to light changes.
- Vitamin D helps strong bone growth and healthy teeth.
- Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant.
- Vitamin K helps produce proteins for blood, bones, and kidneys.