Books! Gadgets! Fun!
Please let your Learning Commons team know if there is anything you need!
Mrs. Byrd Fort, Mrs. Gobbi, and Mrs. Burkett
Makerspace Moments! Spotlight: Dr. Seuss!
Makerspace Moments are a time when students can come to the Learning Commons to explore and create. This month's spotlight is Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
Our Makerspace activities this month will be about Dr. Seuss!
- Make Oobleck
- Create a Dr. Seuss bookmark
- Design something using Perler Beads
The Makerspace Moments schedule:
Tuesdays 9am - 10am AND 12:30pm-1pm
Wednesdays 12pm - 1pm
Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
If you would like to celebrate in your classroom, check out these links for some ideas!
*Classroom resources from Seussville: http://www.seussville.com/Educators/educatorClassroomResources.php
*Reading and Seuss-Themed Resources for Teachers from Edutopia: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/read-across-america-dr-seuss-resources-matthew-davis
*Reading Everywhere with Dr. Seuss lesson plan from ReadWriteThink: http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/reading-everywhere-with-seuss-109.html
Digital Learning Day
Digital Learning Day is March 11 in the Learning Commons, 8am – 11am! Lexington County Public Library will be here to show students how to access eBooks on their devices and students from the Lexington Technology Center will be here to show NPES students what they can learn in Computer Science classes! Everyone is encouraged to BYOD (Bring Your Own Device!). Digital Learning Day is sponsored by the Wonder Den.
Get ready for the Blowfish Reading Rewards Program!
April 27 – May 18 2015 is the Blowfish Reading Rewards Program! Let’s welcome the Blowfish to Lexington by participating in this year’s program! Students who read 1 book will earn 1 ticket to the NPES Blowfish Game; students who read 2 books will earn 2 tickets to the NPES Blowfish Game; students who read 3 books will get to march in the Reader’s Parade; and students who read 4 books will get a hot dog and drink! Stay tuned for more information next month! Save the date - the NPES Blowfish game is on June 4!
Learning Commons iPad and Laptop Reminders
We LOVE how often the iPads and laptops are checked out from the Learning Commons! Here are some helpful reminders!
- When you schedule the iPads, be sure to include exactly how many you need in the calendar. We have a total of 46 iPads. Same with the laptops. There are 9 laptops. Please make sure you look to see if anyone else is using the iPads or laptops at the same time as you...make sure there are enough to cover both of your needs.
- You schedule equipment for a certain time (for example, 8am - 9:30am). Please return what you check out at the scheduled time (in this case, 9:30am). There is often someone who needs them right away when you are finished. Also, do not pick up equipment before your scheduled time. Chances are, someone already has it.
- When you get a cart of iPads, please be sure to put iPads back in the correct slots (the slots in the cart and the iPads are numbered), with all iPads facing in the correct direction.
- Be mindful of creating recurring appointments on the Google Calendar. There are times that the iPads and laptops are reserved months in advance for special projects and events. If you have a recurring appointment, you may overlap with a special project or event.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions!
Save the Date!
Mark your calendars for...
March 2 - Mrs. Sheely's First Day
March 11 - Digital Learning Day - 8am - 11am
March 20 - Lion Cub Story Time - 9am
April 24 - Lion Cub Story Time - 9am
April 27 - May 18 - Lexington Blowfish Reading Program
May 15 - Lion Cub Story Time - 9am
May 21 - Book Fair Teacher Preview - 2:30pm - 3:30pm
May 21 - Last Day for Library Book Checkout
May 22 - 29 - Book Fair
May 28 - All Library Books Due
June 4 - NPES Blowfish Game
June 6 - StoryFest at the SC State Museum
June 6 - Mini Maker Faire at EdVenture