John E. Ford PK-8 School
Wellness February 2016
What's up with Health this Month?
1st-29th American Heart Month www.heart.org
1st-7th African Heritage & Health Week (but who says it has to stop then?) http://oldwayspt.org/programs/african-heritage-health/african-heritage-health-week
14th National Donor Day http://www.organdonor.gov/index.html
The American Heart Association is a great site to get information about heart health, recipes and medical conditions. Whether you need information about weight loss/fitness, smoking cessation or stress management, there is a wealth of information so you can be informed and get/stay healthy!
African Heritage & Health
Traditional African food and diet encompasses a wide variety of healthy ingredients. From grains and beans to fruits, vegetables and lean meats~ healthy doesn't have to mean boring. Adding flavorful ingredients and spices can jazz up even the healthiest recipe, making it something special! Check out the website for recipes and other information the whole year through!
It cost nothing (but means everything!) to become an organ donor. Sign up at the DMV or at https://www.donatelifeflorida.org/ and let your family know that you want a part of yourself to help others after you are no longer around. You can also donate while you are still living! Check out https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/join-the-marrow-registry/ to find out how you can be a bone marrow donor and save someone's life!
African Heritage & Health
EAP * Employee Assistance Program through Corporate Care Works
This program provides:
- Help with balancing work and family day-to-day life
- Free, confidential counseling sessions for you or your family members for personal issues such as stress, family/marital concerns, depression, anxiety, grief and addictions.
- Counseling at convenient office locations throughout Duval County, close to work or home.
- 24-hour EAP Helpline
- Referral program to help you find child care, improve your life, care for aging parents, etc.
- Wellness Seminars on topics such as Creating Work Life Balance, Financial Fitness: Controlling Your Debt, Staying Tough in Tough Times, and Stress Management to name a few.
- Help with legal issues and financial issues.
And much, much, more...
Call the free, confidential, 24-hour CARELINE at 800-327-9757.
go to https://members.healthadvocate.com/ (Organization: DCPS)
Join the 5-2-1-0 Campaign & Help combat childhood obesity!
As a way to help combat childhood obesity, a new initiative called “5-2-1-0 Campaign” is taking place throughout Jacksonville. Announced on Wednesday, “5-2-1-0” is a numeric acronym for promoting kids have “five servings of fruit, two hours of less recreational screen time, one hour of physical activity, and no sugary drinks” each day. Officials from multiple organizations have taken the “5-2-1-0” pledge, including Superintendent Dr. Nikolai Vitti. Learn more at www.5210Jax.org.