Coronado Middle School March 15-19, 2021
This week's mindset quote: "Don't worry about failure. Worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try."
March Key: This Is It!
Make the most of every moment. Focus your attention on the present moment. Keep a positive attitude.
Daylight Savings: Did you Spring forward?
This Week: Spirit Week
Mar 15-26 9th grade Registration appointments for 2021-2022 9th grade (via Zoom)
Mar 15 T3 at 8:05am
All class periods on Zoom today
Mar 19 Antigen Testing at CMS 12:30 -3:00 pm
- Schedule your appointment at: https://www.primarybio.com/r/coronado
Mar 22 Applications for application electives due at 8:00 am
It's Spirit Week!!
Monday Jersey Day! Represent your favorite team!
Tuesday – Pajama day! Comfort is a must!
Wednesday – Special Mask Day! Show off your favorite face mask!
Thursday – Triton Spirit Day! Wear your CMS Pride!
Friday – Passion Day! Wear a shirt that shows what you’re passionate about! (Bands, Tv Shows, movies) Let's get to know each other!
Application Electives for 2021-2022: The following electives require an application: ASB (Associated Student Body), APA (Advanced Performing Arts), KCMS Broadcasting, Advanced Art, and Yearbook.
- Information and applications are available on the Counseling PowerSchool page. Before completing applications, students should view the informational videos explaining the different offerings and application process.
- All applications are due by 8:00 am on March 22, 2021
- Questions should be directed to CMS Counselor, Brian Garcia, at email@example.com
Non-Application Elective Choices for 2021-2022: Students will select their elective choices in May. These electives are: Beginning Band, Advanced Band, Choir, Art/Digital Media, Spanish 1A, Spanish 1B, Coding/STEM, Teacher's Aide (TA)
Student Protocols: Maintaining physical distance during break time is extremely important. We appreciate your assistance with reminding our Tritons about following on campus protocols.
The Surfer Yearbook has begun it's editing process, therefore, we will no longer be accepting ReplayIt photo submissions for the remainder of this school year. The Surfer Yearbook Team wants to thank everyone for all of their assistance in helping to create an amazing yearbook. We cannot wait for you all to see it in June.
Academic Honesty Policy: Students are not allowed to copy OR share their work with others. Students should not be working together on individual work. Students who violate the academic honesty policy will receive a zero on the assignment and a referral.
Thank you for reminding your child of this policy. More information can be found on page 14 of the CMS student handbook. CMS Handbook
Statewide Testing - CAASPP Smarter Balanced Assessment: Testing will take place this spring. More details to follow in the coming weeks. Please click on the link for more information. CAASPP Parent Notification Letter March 2021.pdf
Enjoy this fun series of Interviews with a CMS Author
- Encourage your Triton to participate in Spirit Week!
- HYBRID - On campus days: Please keep your child home if they are not feeling well. Be sure to contact CMS and provide your child's symptoms. You will then be contacted by our site or CUSD nurse to determine next steps. Should you keep your child at home and he/she is not sick, we appreciate your honesty and will not have a nurse follow up with you.
- Attendance: If your child is sick or unable to participate in school on any given day, please contact our attendance clerk, Mrs. Karnas at 619-522-8921 ext. 3096 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You're strongly encouraged to check your child's PowerSchool, regularly, for grade updates, announcements, and emails.
- CUSD Covid-19 Dashboard
8th Grade Familes
- Registration appointments begin this week. Please check your email for appointment time and Zoom link. If you did not receive an appointment or need to reschedule, please contact CHS Counselor, Misty Kint, at email@example.com
- Students are expected to return to their class after their 15 minute appointment.
- Students who have not turned in their planning form should mail it to: CHSinfo@coronadousd.net. Planning form can be found here: Link to 9th Grade Course Offerings
All information about CHS scheduling can be found at this link: https://chs.coronadousd.net/academics/counseling/CHS Principal Schmeichel's Newsletter: https://www.smore.com/7erdk
CoSA: Applications are still being accepted at https://cosasandiego.com/
CUSD is committed to creating safe, inclusive and respectful environments free from discrimination and harassment that promote the safety and affirmation of all students.
CUSD recognizes the link between students’ social and cognitive development, and research has shown that a sense of belonging is core to academic success. CUSD views addressing students' need for belonging and value is central to successful teaching and learning.
CMS strives to foster social emotional learning, mindful self awareness and overall character in tandem with academic skills to support student’s ability to access learning. Within the context of the 8 Keys of Excellence and district wide character education events including Red Ribbon Week and the Great Kindness Challenge, the CMS T3 lessons provide opportunities for dialogue and connection. Within T3, students may encounter sensitive topics, and each T3 class has agreed upon ground rules for respectful discussions. T3 supports a culture of respect through encouraging student voice while celebrating each individual's identity.
This week's T3 lesson: T3 Week of March 15-19, 2021 Mindset
Coronado Schools Foundation
Want to Win a Golf Cart?
The very popular Telethon Opportunity Drawing is back! Enter to win a brand-new 2021 Icon 6 Passenger Lifted Golf Cart valued at $14,000! All proceeds benefit CSF.
The winner will be drawn LIVE on air, March 24th at 8:55pm at the 34th annual Telethon. Be sure to join in at csfkids.org/telethon.
3 Ways to Enter:
1. Click here to get a printable ticket. Print, complete and mail to 201 Sixth Street, Coronado, CA 92118 with payment.
3. Call 619.437.8059 and leave a voicemail. A CSF staff member will return your call and take information and payment over the phone.
Save the Date! CSF Telethon 2021: Wednesday, March 24th 5-9pm
We are looking to fill our PTO Board positions for 2021-2022. All positions are available!
- Vice President
Being part of the CMS PTO Board is a terrific way to stay in touch with what is happening at CMS and help support the CMS students, teachers, staff and administration!
Please email me at Frogfree078@gmail.com if you have questions or are interested in supporting the students, staff and families of CMS.
Our last meeting will be held on April 7th at 6:30 pm. That night, we'll vote on the new board.
Haven't joined PTO yet? Click on the link. https://www.konstella.com/cd/W2XGRV
CMS PTO President
Messages from ASB and President Shoemaker
Hello Triton Families!
It's Spirit Week! We hope to see everyone participate and have some fun dressing up for on campus and over zoom!
Mon March 15th- Jersey Day! Represent your favorite team!
Tues March 16th – Pajama day! Comfort is a must!
Weds March 17th – Special Mask Day! Show off your favorite face mask!
Thurs March 18th – Triton Spirit Day! Wear your CMS Pride!
Fri March 19th – Passion Day! Wear a shirt that shows what you’re passionate about! (Bands, Tv Shows, movies) Let's get to know each other!
Buy your CMS Merch! Store Link!
- CMS Trident Zip Up Hoodie $25 in Sizes S-XL
- CMS Trident Crewneck Sweater $25 in Sizes S-XL
Link to: CMS TRITONS PAGE
Messages from CMS Counselors
We're here for you! Students can visit our PowerSchool page to find resources and /or reach out to us!
No Place for Hate®: Please encourage your students to complete and submit their posters for making our school NPfH activity. Submissions are due 3/19/21. They can turn them in to the box that will be placed on a table in front of the library. Posters will be hung up around campus and we’ll share photos with the NPfH team at the San Diego ADL. Next NPFH committee meeting is scheduled for Weds. 3/17/21 @ 1:30pm.
6th Grade Families - March 22nd T3 Event
Digital Drug Store Presentation for Sixth Graders: While the in-person Drug Store event is not possible this year, Coronado SAFE has worked with CMS to offer a virtual presentation on Monday, March 22 during T3. The goal of this presentation is to offer students important information about healthy decision making and the consequences (developmental, medical and legal among others) of drug and alcohol use. The T3 presentation in school will be followed by an evening zoom Coffee Talk event (“Talking to Your Kids About Drugs”) hosted by SAFE.
Please click here for all details about the Drug Store Presentation https://www.smore.com/kgpt8
Sign up for the monthly SAFE Parenting Tool Box at coronadosafe.org and take advantage of this great resource.
CMS Military Family Life Counselor Supports
Zoom Military Student Lunch Bunch : Tuesday’s 1:00-1:30pm.
- A great place to connect with other military students
- Zoom Link: Zoom Lunch Bunch (New Link)
Lisa F. Poli
MFLC- Military & Family Life Counselor for Coronado Middle School
Cell Phone: (619) 592-0821
NOW AVAILABLE: CMS LIBRARY BOOK CHECKOUTS!!!
It’s easy to browse, check out, and hold books through Classlink! Once you sign in, click the Follett icon and you will have access to the CMS library catalog. Once a book is put on hold, Mrs. Pettit will bag your books for pick up. Book pickups and returns will be on Wednesdays, ONLY for safety purposes, and can be obtained between 8 am-3 pm at the F. Street entrance of the middle school.
PLEASE NOTE: Books that are catalogued as YA (Young Adult), will require a guardian signed permission slip. If you are a returning CMS student and already had one of these filled out last year, you are good to go! However, all incoming 6th graders and new students will need this form completed at the time of pick up. Permission forms can be printed or emailed to Mrs. Pettit.
If you have any questions concerning the YA form, or how to access books through our Follett system, please email Mrs. Pettit at: firstname.lastname@example.org
CMS Library Technician
Military Families Resources
TUTOR.COM STUDENT SUCCESS WEBINAR SERIES
Back for Spring 2021, with new En Español sessions! Every Wednesday, learners have another chance to dive into high-demand topics such as Critical Thinking and Stress Management, while Spanish speakers can enjoy a new en Español session on Study Skills. These webinars are suitable for high school and college-level learners.
- Stress Management: March 17, 2-2:45 pm
PARENT EDUCATION VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS
Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) Parent Programs is offering a new series of Parent Education Virtual Workshops for military-connected parents and professionals who work in support of military-connected children.
- Applying to a Service Academy: March 16, 9 am
- Financing Your Military Child’s K-12 Education: March 17, 9 am
- Test Taking Strategies for Elementary School Students: March 23, 9 am
- Test Taking Strategies for Middle & High School Students: March 24, 9 am
- Register: https://www.militarychild.org/webinars
- Benefits of Using Sign Language with Young Children: March 30, 9 am
- Helping Your Child Learn Through Play: March 31, 9 am
Not available to attend the live webinar? Register at the links above to receive the recording.
MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS ONLY STEM DAY
Saturday, March 20
The U.S. Naval Academy is hosting a virtual Girls Only STEM Day open to middle schools girls. Visit the link below for full details. I believe event times are EST.
COFFEE TALK: HOW TO TALK TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT DRUGS
Monday, March 22, 6:30-8 pm
Join the professionals of Coronado SAFE to learn how to address drug abuse/misuse without breaking or losing trust. Get help to know what to say, learn myths, reality and warning signs, plus information on dealers, online ordering, “kid-friendly” dispensaries and recognizing paraphernalia.
LEADERSHIP SPOUSE SYMPOSIUM
Thursday, March 25, 9 am-3 pm (or as you are available)
This unique Fleet & Family Support Center Metro San Diego event is open to all prospective, current, and former XO, CO, CMC and COB spouses. It is a time to meet, network, share support, and collaborate! Topics include "How to Foster Volunteerism in your Group" and "Understanding and Identifying Bias." Also, there will be a panel discussion with key leadership spouses from various Naval communities, a perfect opportunity to tackle those questions you have wondered about and may never had the ability to ask. Pre-submitted questions will be answered by experienced and knowledgeable spouses. This is a virtual event.
Register via email: Christina.email@example.com
ASYMCA ART & ESSAY CONTEST
2021 Theme: “How has COVID-19 impacted me and my military family?”
Submission Deadline: March 31, 2021
The annual Armed Services YMCA Art & Essay Contest gives military children a voice. It also serves as reminder of the sacrifices military children, service members and their families make for our country. Winners will be announced at the end of April in honor of the Month of the Military Child. For full details, visit: https://www.asymca.org/contest
ST. PATRICK’S DAY RUN TO THE RUNWAY
March 15-18, 7 am-3 pm
NBC MWR has planned a fun, physically distant, 2-mile run event to shake up March! Start times will be staggered and participants receive a FREE shirt upon completion. Open to all patrons with base access.
THE NAVY’S 34TH BAY BRIDGE RUN/WALK – VIRTUALLY!
This year, the Navy will BRIDGE the distance between us, and participate virtually! Participate from anywhere in the US in any way you want! You'll receive your commemorative 34th Annual event medal, high-quality poly blend T-shirt, and race number in May. Once received, record your "results" through our website, print your custom finisher certificate, wear your swag with pride, and tag us on social media.
School Liaison Officer
Naval Base Coronado
Celebrating individuality! CMS is No Place for Hate
ASB has been hard at work on Birthday Boards!
Triton Shout Outs
HYBRID STUDENTS: ON Campus Days:
- Gates open at 7:55 am. Class begins promptly at 8:05 am.
- Students that arrive late to class will be marked tardy.
- Students are REQUIRED to bring a charged device (personal computer or school issued Chromebook) every day they are on campus. Loaners will not be available.
- Students are required to follow all safety protocols such as appropriately wearing a face covering and maintaining physical distance.
- Please make sure your child is prepared for school every day! Students must come to campus with their device, assignments, supplies, and water/snack, daily. We are not able to deliver items to students at this time.
- Hybrid students are expected to be on campus on their assigned days. They are only permitted to Zoom in if they have been called in sick or have communicated circumstances.
- Rainy days: Please send your student to school with a warm jackets and umbrella on rainy days.
HYBRID STUDENTS: OFF Campus Days
- Starting March 1st: Students that do not remain on Zoom for the entire period will be marked absent (unless prior communication). Students are expected to be on time to class. If students are more than a couple of minutes late, they will be marked tardy (unless prior communication)
- As noted in Superintendent Mueller's update, students who have been designated by the parent/guardian survey as an on-campus student are required to be on campus during their scheduled day/time. We are finding that some of our learners are 'opting' to zoom from home when we anticipate them physically in class. Our goal is to maximize enrollment and capacity. As such, our schedules were purposefully designed for a balance of those on campus and off. On campus students who do not attend class in person on their designed days will be marked absent.
- Students that do not remain on Zoom for the entire period will be marked absent (unless prior communication). Students are expected to be on time to class. If students are more than a couple of minutes late, they will be marked tardy (unless prior communication)
Mark your calendar for upcoming dates:
March: 8 Keys: This Is It
Mar15-24 Registration appointments for 2021-2022 9th grade (via Zoom)
Mar 22 @ 8:00 am Application Elective Forms Due
Mar 23 CUSD Special Board Meeting 5:00 pm @ DO (Zoom)
Mar 24 CSF Telethon 5:00-9:00 pm
Mar 26 Celebrate World Autism Awareness Day
Mar 29- Apr 5 Spring Recess