Learning and Culture Flourish
- The need for educated people grows.
- Women were not allowed to attend universities.
- Muslim scholars had translated the works of Aristotle and other Greek thinkers into Arabic.
- Christian scholars struggled with new ideas.
- Greek writing posed challenges for christian scholars.
- Aristotle taught that people should use reason to discover basic truth.
- Writings of these philosophers influenced the famous scholastic Thomas Aquinas
Architecture and Art
- Romanesque to Gothic
- Romanesque churches looked like fortresses.
- Stonemasons carved sculptures to decorate churches inside and out.
- paintings manuscripts and tapestries
- Churches contained religious paintings.
- Gothic style was applied to the artistic decoration of books.
- Medieval artist created paintings in thread.