Smore Cookbook Project
Salmon with Carrot & Tomatos
- 225g carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 150g salmon fillet
- ½ tsp milk (or enough to cover the salmon, see method for details)
- 30g butter
- 2 tomatoes (ripe, skinned and desseded), chopped
- 40g cheddar cheese, grated
Tools: Food Blender
- Put the carrots in a steamer set over a pan of boiling water and cook for 15–20 minutes or until tender
- Meanwhile, place the fish in a microwave dish, add the milk, dot with half the butter and cover, leaving an air vent
- Microwave on High for 1½ –2 minutes
- Alternatively, put the salmon in a pan, pour over enough milk to just cover and simmer for about 4 minutes or until cooked
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, add the tomatoes and sauté until softened and slightly mushy
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted - blend the cooked carrots with the tomato mixture
- Drain the cooking liquor from the fish, remove the skin and check there are no bones
- Flake the fish and mix it with the carrots and tomatoes
- For younger babies you can blend the fish together with the carrots and tomato for a smoother texture
- 1kg potatoes (or a mixture of normal and sweet potatoes)
- 50g butter
- 140ml milk
- Cheddar (to taste), grated
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Peel potatoes, cut into chunks and boil
- Once cooked, drain and then return to the hob with a knob of butter and a little milk
- Mash and beat in lots of grated cheese and black pepper until you have a delicious mash
- 2 green apples
- 6 green grapes
- 4 mini chocolate chips
- 1. Wash apples and slice the base third from the apple.
- 2. Place the base on a serving plate and slice 4 grapes in half. Arrange them as the turtle's flippers.
- 3. Slice one third off the remaining 2 grapes and place as the heads.
- 4. Using the point of a knife just puncture two holes in each head for eyes. Turn the chocolate chips pointy side down and press into the holes.
Teddy Bear Toast
- 2 slices wholemeal or white bread
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (you can replace this with Sweet William Chocolate Spread in case of nut allergies)
- 6 banana slices
- 6 raisins
- 1. Toast the bread.
- 2. Spread with peanut butter.
- 3. Add banana slices for the ears and nose.
- 4. Place the raisins on each slice for the eyes and in the center of the banana nose.
Risotto with Butternut Squash
- 50g onion, chopped
- 25g unsalted butter
- 110g basmati rice
- 450ml boiling water
- 150g butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 225g ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Saute the onion in half the butter until softened.
- Stir in the rice until well coated.
- Pour over the boiling water, cover pan with a lid and cook for 8 minutes over a high heat.
- Stir in the butternut squash, reduce the heat and cook, covered, for about 12 minutes or until or the water had been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan, add the tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes,
- Stir in the cheese until melted, then stir the tomato and cheese mixture into the cooked rice.
Peanut Butter Muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- ¼ c. banana (about 1 banana), mashed with a fork
- ¼ c. peanut butter
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- ¼ c. frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (left out of the freezer until it's soft)
- ¼ c. nonfat dry milk
- 2¼ c. flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- nonstick cooking spray
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- small bowl
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- muffin/cupcake tin
- paper muffin/cupcake liners
- wire rack
- measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- In a small bowl, break the eggs and use a fork to beat them a little bit.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, mashed banana, peanut butter, vegetable oil, apple juice, dry milk, and the eggs from the small bowl. Mix with a mixing spoon until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda into the large bowl. Mix again.
- Line a muffin tine with paper liners or lightly spray with nonstick spray. Spoon in the muffin mix. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way up.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- When your muffins are finished baking, remove from muffin tin and cool them on the wire rack. Then it's time to taste and share!
Taste of Tropic Fruit Bowl
What you need:
- 3 apricots, pitted and diced
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 6 large strawberries, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 6 tablespoons vanilla or plain Greek-style yogurt
- 4½ tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife for cutting fruit
- Bowls for serving
What to do:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the apricots, bananas, and strawberries.
- Scoop the fruit salad into small bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon yogurt.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top.
Miso Alphabet Soup
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- 1/2 cup alphabet pasta
- 2 Tablespoons yellow miso paste
- 14 ounce block of firm tofu
- 1 bunch green onions
- Bring the stock or water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the pasta and boil gently until done, about 6 minutes, or according to the package directions.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes, and thinly slice the green onions, and set aside.
- When the pasta is tender, take the soup off the heat. Stir in the miso paste, and then add the tofu.
- Serve in small bowls, garnished with the sliced green onions.
Mini Quinoa Pizza Bites
- 3/4 cup – quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup – water
- 2 tablespoon – olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 cup – pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup – mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 slice round – pepperoni
- Soak uncooked quinoa for 6-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with strips of parchment paper and drizzle 1/4 teaspoon of oil in the center. Spread around with your finger until evenly coated and set pan aside.
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa, then add to a blender. Add remaining crust ingredients (1 tablespoon of oil should remain) and blend on high until smooth and creamy. It should resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of batter into prepared each muffin tin and bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan, flip crusts onto a baking sheet and return to oven baking for another 5 - 10 minutes until browned and edges are crispy.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and top each pizza round with 1 teaspoon of sauce. Add a layer of cheese and then a slice of pepperoni, and bake for 8 - 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Remove, let cool for a few minutes on the pan.
- Garnish with herbs, pepper flakes, grated cheese, etc., (totally optional) and serve immediately!
Breakfast Banana Split Recipe
- 2 large – banana
- 1 cup – Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup – quinoa crispies cereal
- 3 tablespoon – chia seeds
- 3 tablespoon – chocolate chips, semisweet
- 1/4 cup – raspberries
- 2 tablespoon – peanut butter, all-natural
- 2 tablespoon – water
- 1 tablespoon – maple syrup, pure
Directions1. Peel the two bananas and slice them lengthwise. Arrange them on a plate and top each with 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. 2. Sprinkle the remaining toppings evenly atop the greek yogurt. 3. In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of water and maple syrup. Add additional water (or maple syrup) until sauce reaches a consistency which can easily be drizzled. 4. Drizzle sauce over the splits and serve!