Facts on Domestic Violence
Did you know?
Is a pattern of behavior used to establish power and control over another person through fear and intimidation, often including the threat or use of violence.
- 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime
- Women ages 20 to 24 are at greatest risk of becoming victims of domestic violence.
- More than 4 million women experience physical assault and rape by their partners.
- Domestic violence is the third leading cause of homelessness among families, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- One in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- One quarter of high school girls have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.
- Violent behavior typically begins between the ages of 12 and 18.
- Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
LETS STOP DOMESTIC VIOLENCE TOGETHER. IF YOU ARE BEING ABUSED OR NO SOMEONE WHO IS, PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE AND REPORT IT!