Brought to you by your NoGa School Counselors - vol. 4
Students last names A - F
Students last names G - M
Students last names N - Z
~ STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES ~
Participation in student activities helps with building character and building your resume so GET INVOLVED!!!
(9) Commissioners' School of Excellence
Senator James S. Forrester Commissioners' School of Excellence
- Each summer, the Gaston County Board of Commissioners funds a two-week residential experience for rising 10th graders at Belmont Abbey College. The Commissioners' School of Excellence (CSE) offers a variety of hands-on activities and seminars designed to help participants better understand Gaston County, and their own roles as future leaders.
- Each Gaston County high school is allotted one CSE position for every fifty students enrolled in the ninth grade.
- Any 9th grader is eligible to apply for CSE - see Mrs. Smith for more information
(11) Martha Guy Summer Institute (fee to participate)
- One of the best summer opportunities awaits current juniors on the campus of Appalachian State Univeristy. The Martha Guy Summer Institute for Future Business Leaders (MGSI) as a solid, 12 year history of inspiring students through exploration of the business world, and they are not accepting applications for their 2016 cohort!
- There is a fee attached to this opportunity so please visit http://marthaguy.appstate.edu/ for full details. Application deadline is February 26, 2016.
(10) The North Carolina School of Science and Math
- Are you interested in science, technology, engineering, or math? If so, you may be interested in learning more about the North Carolina School of Science and Math. The NCSSM is a residential high school located in Durham North Carolina and offers a challenging curriculum for students that meet their admissions criteria. If you are interested in learning more, visit: http://www.ncssm.edu/
(10 & 11) Summer Ventures
- Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics is seeking rising NC juniors and seniors who are academically talented and who aspire to careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Spend 4 weeks during your summer on a UNC campus conducting research on STEM topics. Gain skills in experimental design, laboratory instrumentation, mathematical modeling, and more. Applications are now available online - deadline is January 31st.
- Visit: http://www.summerventures.org/ for a thorough program review and application.
(9 - 12) The Shelton Leadership Conference (fee to participate)
- The Shelton Challenge is an experiential, five-night, six-day residential program designed to develop the next generation of values-based leaders.
- Students participate in a variety of activities including a low and high ropes course, social responsibility projects, team challenges, small group discussions, and multimedia presentations to introduce students to foundational concepts of values-based leadership.
- For application and reference forms, visit: https://sheltonleadership.ncsu.edu/youth-shelton-challenge/apply-for-challenge/
(9 & 10) Clemson University C-CATS program
- Clemson's Challenge for Academically Talented Students (C-CATS) recruits top 9th and 10th graders from SC, NC and GA to participate in high-powered weekend retreats at YLI Headquarters in Pickens, SC.
- Through team-building and academic sessions, students gain leadership skills, learn how to foster positive relationships and improve their ability to think clearly and perform under pressure.
- Application opens December 15th - visit http://www.clemson.edu/yli/pages/ccats.php for more information.
~ CONGRATULATIONS ~
~ HELPFUL INFORMATION ~
Have you registered yet?
* Redesigned SAT begins in March *
For more information on the changes, visit https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat?affiliateId=aruhome&bannerId=nwsat
Writing a college essay
I'll let you in on a little secret. College admissions officers don't want to read students' flowery, flashy novels in place of the required common application essay. Students can avoid traveling down this cringe-worthy path with these 3 tips:
3 Tips for Writing the College Essay from EditRevise
- Follow the typical 5-paragraph essay format. It helps to keep students organized, and will help admissions understand and find their response to the essay prompt.
- Before starting to write, students should have a clear thesis in mind (no more than 2 sentences). Each paragraph should tie back to their thesis.
- Keep the essay simple. Use structure and introspection, rather than big words and long-winded stories, to make the story shine.
~ MARK YOUR CALENDARS ~
Spring semester - schedule change requests
Deadline for submission is December 18Remember that you committed to your course selections and alternates during registration. Schedules will not be changed because you changed your mind, you do not want the teacher, and/or you do not like the time of the class.
- Early release (SENIORS only) will be available for 3rd/4th periods only (no late arrival). Early release will not be assigned until you return the job form completed (see your counselor). If you are participating in sports, early release is NOT an option.
Deadline for submission is December 18, 2015. To submit a schedule change request, click on the following ling:
Gay Straight Alliance
Every Monday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
The GSA will continue to hold weekly meetings every Monday in the Library. All students are welcome. See Mr. Bolden in the counseling office with any questions.
9:00am - noon
Get FREE help from college aid professionals to complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Session for Gaston County will be held at Gaston College. To register, visit https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/registerlist.asp?m=227&p=12&width=950&s=6&sb=1&group=37
~ CAREER EXPLORATION ~
What career path are you looking to pursue?
Out of the box careers
Highlighting lesser known careers
Diesel Service Technician
Diesel service technicians and mechanics inspect, repair, or overhaul buses, trucks, and anything else with a diesel engine.
Employers increasingly prefer applicants who have completed post secondary training programs in diesel engine repair.
Median income was $42,320 in May 2014
Employment of diesel service mechanics is projected to grow 9% and opportunities will be best for those who have completed post secondary training in diesel engine repair.