September 9, 2021 Community Newsletter
Hello, Parents and Guardians,
Thank you for sharing your children with us! We are thrilled to see so many students getting involved in Thomas School Community beyond just the classroom settings. Safety and connection are essential parts of our Wolf Pack! Student Council and DEN Club are great ways for your child to explore service work, leadership, and Community. Spanish Club, Garden Club, Science Olympiad, Band, and much more are all underway. Please check out the Daily Morning Announcements for more information on when and where these activities meet.
Curriculum and instruction are going strong with the first quarter mid-term coming up later this month on Friday, 9/24/21. Please click here if you are in need of the PowerSchool & Schoology Parent Access Request Form. MAP testing is also wrapping up this week.
This Community Newsletter is coming a little bit early as we strive to have our newsletters go out on the 15th and 1st of each month. We have a few friendly reminders to share:
- 7th & 8th Grade Curriculum Night - tonight - Thursday, September 9th. Please feel free to join us at 6:45 PM for a brief Administrator Welcome in the Large Gym. Homeroom will begin promptly at 7:05 PM. Parking will be at a premium, please plan accordingly.
- 6th grade locker set-up time this Saturday, September 11th from 9 AM-noon. All 6th-grade parents and guardians will get an email this Friday after 3 PM with the locker assignments and combinations. Can't attend this Saturday, no worries! All 6th graders will participate in a Locker Set-Up Lesson during Advisory on Monday, 9/13/21.
Yesterday we had an impactful author visit from Alan Gratz. He shared an amazing message with the students on the events of 9/11 and the valuable lessons learned as a result. He highlighted the selflessness and care that were demonstrated by all those that risked their lives helping one another and the sacrifices of those that tragically lost their lives. Special thanks to Mrs. Fahnoe, our LMC Director, for coordinating this event. Please be sure to ask your child about the take-aways they gained. Throughout this week, our ELA classes have been continuing this learning journey and it has been incredible to hear the students share their stories and insights on the historic 9/11 event.
In this newsletter you'll find information on the following items:
- TMS Virtual RULER Parent Presentation 6:15 PM & PTA Meeting 7 PM - Tuesday, 9/14
- Lunch Grouping Schedule for 2021-2022
- 8th Grade Virtual Candor Presentation & Program Information
- Curriculum Night - 7th & 8th Grade is TODAY, Thursday, 9/9/21 @ 7 PM with the Administrator Welcome at 6:45 PM
- 6th Grade Locker Set-Up - Saturday, 9/11/21 from 9-Noon
- Ruler Virtual Parent Presentation 6:15 PM & PTA Meeting - 7 PM on Tuesday, 9/14/21
- Non-Attendance Day - NO SCHOOL - Thursday, 9/16/21
- 8th Grade Virtual Candor Presentation - Wednesday, 9/22/21 @ 7:00 PM
- Quarter Midterm - Friday, 9/24/21
7 & 8th Grade Girls Basketball Tryouts - Thursday, 9/30/21 & Friday, 10/1/21
D25 Institute Day - Non-Attendance Day - NO SCHOOL - Monday, 10/11/21
D214 8th Grade PSAT - Saturday, 10/30/21 (Make-Up date is 11/6/21)
Seeking Your Support: We hope that your family will consider joining the ABC25 Foundation. Please see below for more details.
Thank you and take care,
Greg, Nick, & Lori
Curriculum Night - Parent & Guardian Event
7th & 8th Curriculum Night: Thursday, 9/9/21 @ 7 PM - Click here for details
- Please join us at 6:45 PM for a brief Administrator Welcome in the Large Gym. We ask that you please sit 6 feet apart from other parents. This session is optional.
- A hard copy of your child's schedule will be given out in homeroom.
6th GRADE - LOCKER SET-UP - 9/11/21
On Saturday, 9/11/21 from 9 AM-noon we will open up TMS to give the 6th-grade students and one parent or older sibling an opportunity to set up lockers.
Can't make 9/11/21, no worries! On Monday, 9/13/21 all 6th graders will have an Advisory Lesson on locker set-up.
TMS Parent RULER Webinar
- An overview of the RULER program will be provided.
- Specific information on how the RULER approach will be implemented at TMS will be shared.
Girls Basketball Tryouts
1) Fill out the athletic registration form. If you have already filled out it out for Cross Country and selected Girls Basketball, you do not need to fill it out again.
2) Have an updated physical on file. Physicals are good for 13 months, so in order to be eligible for tryouts, the date must be 9/1/20. In order to be eligible the entire season, the physical date should be 11/16/20. If the registration form is filled out, we can communicate with any students that they need an updated physical.
9/30: 4:15 - 5:30pm
10/1: 3:00 - 4:15pm
9/30: 3:00 - 4:15pm
10/1: 4:15 - 5:30pm
Join the ABC/25 Foundation
Please consider joining the ABC/25 Foundation.
The link to join is: JOIN ABC/25.
The cost is $25 for staff members and $40 for families to join.
The ABC/25 Foundation provides powerful grants that schools can earn which can benefit all students.
If you have questions, please contact:
ABC/25 Foundation President
LUNCH ASSIGNMENTS BY HOMEROOM... As of 9/8/21
The lunch format based on the student survey has been revised. We have now organized a lunch schedule for the remainder of the school year based on homerooms. The schedule is included below. As always, the hope is for lunch to take place outdoors as much as possible.
Please review the following lunch protocols with your child(ren):
- Students should watch the daily morning announcements or bookmark the lunch schedule in Schoology to determine where their lunch location is for the week.
- Students should report to the new lunch assigned spaces and wait for the supervisor to advise them on when they can pick up the free school lunch.
- Students should remain seated during lunch while indoors and outdoors.
- Students should clean up after themselves and respect the eating area.
- Students should put their masks on when not eating indoors during the lunch period.
Please click here for more details on food services and lunch.
Health & PE Class Information
PE Uniform Shirts
Click here for a link to order a PE shirt online. Students can pick up shirts during PE Class.
8th Grade Virtual Candor Presentation
WHEN: Wednesday, September 22,⋅7:00 – 8:00 pm
QUESTIONS: Please contact Melanie Zenisek
Science & Social Studies Coordinator
Arlington Heights School District 25
1200 S. Dunton Ave.
Arlington Heights IL 60005
8th Grade Parents - Teen Sexual Health 1
The upcoming virtual parent night on September 22, 2021 will be an opportunity for you to learn more about the Candor Health Education program, Teen Sexual Health 1. This presentation will share the materials students will have presented to them and includes:
Fundamentals of the male and female reproductive anatomy
The social, emotional, mental, and physical development of adolescents
Definitions of biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation
Discussion of abstinence being the safest and healthiest lifestyle choice
Body image, media influences, sexting, and healthy communication
The negative consequences of risk-taking behaviors including teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections
Please join us virtually at 7pm on September 22, 2021:
If you are unable to attend this meeting or would like more details on the presentation, please access the presentation asynchronously via the Candor Health Education link provided below, through the end of October. (Password is case sensitive).
Link - https://vimeo.com/596670329
Password - aspire21
We hope that you will take an active part in this unit by discussing these topics at home to share your own family’s views, morals, and values with your child. Should you prefer your child not participate in this unit, he/she will be given an alternate set of health assignments to be completed in the library during these health class periods. If you have any questions on this matter please call Melanie Zenisek, the district Science and Social Studies Coordinator at 847-758-4877 or email her at MZenisek@sd25.org.
Health Office Reminders
Sixth-Grade Parents: We have received many physicals for your students. Thank you!
Just a reminder for those who have not turned in a state-required physical, they are due by October 15, 2021, to avoid school exclusion.
Please send completed forms to email@example.com or you can drop them off in the office.
Please Speak With Your Child About Mask Wearing...
- MASK SUPPLIES: Please make sure your child brings 2-3 masks to school each day in the event that a replacement mask is needed. While we have extra masks on hand, it's helpful for the students to have backups.
- MASK WEARING: Please speak with your child about proper mask wearing that includes covering the nose.
- MASK BREAKS: These are provided as needed for students throughout the school day.
TMS PTA - Meeting Tuesday, 9/14/21 @ 7 PM Join us In-Person or Via Zoom!
All parents, guardians, and staff are welcome to be members of the PTA. As a member of the PTA, you are welcome to attend the monthly meetings, share suggestions, discuss events, and volunteer your time.
The Parent-Teacher-Association meets monthly on the following dates:
Tuesday, 9/14/21 - 7 PM - PLEASE CLICK HERE TO RSVP!
Wednesday, 10/13/21 - 7 PM
Tuesday, 11/16/21 - 7 PM
Wednesday, 1/12/22 - 7 PM
Tuesday, 2/15/22 - 7 PM
March - TBD
May - TBD
Do you have questions for the PTA? Email the PTA at: firstname.lastname@example.org
2021-2022 PTA Officers:
President: Amy Hoffman
President-Elect: Suzanne Krause
Vice President: Melissa Teuscher
Treasurer: Kelly Spokas
Secretary: Deborah Oiler
Click here for details on the SD25 2021-2022 COVID-19 PROTOCOLS & GUIDELINES
GENERAL D25 BUS INFORMATION
If your child is a bus rider, the bus information and bus passes are sent to you by Laura Comastro from our transportation department.
Her contact information is:(847) 758-4888 or email@example.com
Please direct all transportation and bussing questions to Laura Comastro.
NOTE: Students will not be required to show their bus pass until October.