Ms. Missy's Messenger
What's up in the Community Classroom?
August 31 - September 10, 2014
Shapes and Colors
The first few weeks of school have been a lot of fun! Everyone is doing a nice job learning the class routines and rules. The children are quickly making new friends, which is awesome to see!
This week and next week we will be learning about colors and shapes. We know that many of our students already know their colors and shapes. However, some of our younger friends are still working on these skills. For those that have already mastered colors and shapes, we will use our prior knowledge to explore colors and shapes in our environment, sort by color and shape, and make basic patterns with colors and shapes. We will also explore mixing colors to make new colors. This week, we will get out the scissors to see what we can do....snip, cut on lines, or even cut out simple shapes. We will emphasize the concepts: same/different, big/little, and/or small/medium/large.
Related Theme Books
- Mouse Paint, by Ellen Stoll Walsh
- Mouse Shapes, by Ellen Stoll Walsh
- Dog's Colorful Day, by Emma Dodd
- Elmer and the Rainbow, by David McKee
- Color Chaos, by Lynn Rowe Reed
- The Mixed Up Chameleon, by Eric Carle
- Circle, Square, Moose, by Kelly Bingham
- Go, Shapes, Go!, by Denise Fleming
- A Rainbow All Around Me, by Sandra L. Pinkney
- Colors Versus Shapes, by Mike Boldt
All staff and volunteers are required by law to watch the anti-bullying webinar that is available on the HSE website. Once you have watched the webinar, you must complete a survey to verify you have done so. The following link will direct you to the HSE website where you can access the background check link, the anti-bullying webinar, and the webinar survey. If you have any questions, please let me know.
HSE Illness Policy
- If your child will not be riding the bus, please contact transportation prior to school to let them know at 594-4117.
- Please check your child's notebook daily for important information and/or artwork that is being sent home.
- If you have not already sent in an extra change of clothes for your child, please do so as soon as possible.