We Are Together Tamanend!
October 11, 2019
Tamanend Pink Out
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Posted Author John David Anderson Visit--Tuesday, October 15 during school day
7th Grade Dental Exams Due--Tuesday, October 15 (any dental exam given since September 1, 2018 is acceptable)
Parent Council--Thursday, October 17 at 9:00 AM
Red Cross Blood Drive at Tamanend--Monday, October 28 3:00PM--8:00 PM
Picture Re-Take Day--Wednesday, October 30
#SouthSide STEM Hoop Glider Plane Challenge
Tamanend's #SouthSide STEM Club participants participated in the Hoop Glider Plane Challenge this week. Club members were challenged with building a "plane" that would go the furthest with a materials constraint of only a straw, index cards, and tape along with a weight constraint. Seventh grader, Paul F., took away the bragging rights with the Hoop Glider Plane that traveled the furthest!
Our next STEM Club meeting is Thursday October 24th. See you there!
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is November 12
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
Reminder--Help Us Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Kelly Ann Dolan Basketball Tournament
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Help Tamanend Honor Veterans in Our Community
As Veterans Day approaches, Tamanend Middle School would like to honor those who have served our country. On Monday, November 11th we will hold our Veterans Day Assembly. We would like this presentation to be meaningful, not just for our students, but also for local veterans in our community. As such, if you have the email addresses of friends and/or family who have served in the armed forces who may be interested in joining us that morning, please send this information to Jeff Klein (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 1st. Thank you.
Reminder--American Red Cross Blood Drive
The American Red Cross is hosting an upcoming blood drive at Tamanend Middle School! Please join our lifesaving mission and schedule an appointment today!
Site: Tamanend Middle School
Room Name: Cafeteria
Date: Mon Oct 28, 2019
Time: 03:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Blood Program Leader Name: Amanda Higgins
Click here to make an appointment
Thank you for helping to save lives!
JDRF One Walk--October 27
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Positive Body Image
Nemours offers this interesting article on encouraging positive body image for teenagers.
What We're Talking About at Tamanend:
Advisory Lessons for next week include:
All Grades--Discussions of themes in Posted with author John David Anderson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyAwXnJ_oM
7th Grade & 8th Grade-Academic check-ins with their advisors, catching up and making up work before the end of the marking period.
9th Grade-Building resiliency skills
STUDENT COUNCIL CORNER
Hey Tamanend!! Thank you to all those who came out for our first dance of the school year! It was very successful and we loved hearing how much fun everyone had! On another note, thank you to everyone who participated in our Magazine Sale Fundraiser! The Linc trip and bingo party for all who qualify will be held on Tuesday, October 22nd! Also, we have some fun upcoming events to look forward to, including Halloween Dress-Up day on Thursday, October 31st!! Then on Monday, November 4th we have our first pep rally of the year! Each grade should wear their grade level color: 7th is gold/yellow, 8th is blue and 9th is white! Thank you Tamanend, have a great weekend!
--Student Council Officers
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Click here to hear Posted author John David Anderson talk about this book.
Click here for audio files of the book. Steps for downloading audio files to phones:
- Go to Tamanend’s website and scroll down to "School Links."
- Click the link "One Book, One School- Posted (Audiobook)."
- Log-In using your CBSD email account and password.
- Click the Play button and enjoy!
Tips for Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- 8th Grade Field Hockey @ New-Hope Solebury (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Soccer @ New-Hope Solebury (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Football vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Tennis @ Unami (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- Boys Tennis vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- Volleyball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Field Hockey vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Soccer vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Tennis vs. Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- Boys Tennis vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Field Hockey @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Soccer @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
7th Grade Field Hockey vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Soccer vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Football @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- Girls Tennis @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- Boys Tennis vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- Volleyball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- No contests
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the attached flier for additional information.
- Congratulations to the 8th Grade Soccer team, 8th Grade Football team, and the 7th Grade Football team for picking up their first wins of the season!
- ATTENTION WINTER ATHLETES: If you are interested in participating in a Tamanend Winter sport--GIRLS BASKETBALL, WRESTLING, BOYS BASKETBALL--there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the Winter sports season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
- For those trying out for GIRLS BASKETBALL and those planning to WRESTLE…Family ID is open. Please register as soon as possible as tryouts begin on November 4th for girls basketball and wrestling begins later in November.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the field and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- This year’s mandatory concussion meeting for 9th Graders planning to try out for winter sports at CB South will be on Tuesday, October 29th in the Forum room at CB South. Winter Track, Boys Basketball, and Wrestling will be at 3:00. Boys and Girls Swimming/Diving and Girls Basketball will be at 3:45.
- Open gyms for CB South Boys Basketball will be held on Mondays from 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00-4:30 until Thursday, November 14th.
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Breakfast is Served!
Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
Reminder--Run for the Heart 5K
Our Run for the Heart 5K is held annually in memory of two CB South students who passed away as students while at South. Caroline Gallagher and Steve Grabowski were dynamic students who added to the CB South community on a daily basis. We hold the 5K to remember them and all proceeds are donated to CHOP’s cardiac unit to help prevent pediatric cardiac events.
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Bucks County Student Arts Expo--November 6
Reminder--MBIT--50 Year Open House
Reminder--Bucks County Book Fest
Reminder--Free YMCA Memberships for 7th Graders
Empower U Program at YMCA
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Youth Recognition Award!
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults.
The chosen Asset for October is #18: Youth Programs—recognizing a young person who spends 3 or more hours per week in sports, clubs or organizations at school or in the community. Please submit your nomination through this link. All nominations are due by Friday, 10/18. We will announce our building winner and acknowledge all winners on Tuesday, 10/22 during Advisory.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Ms. Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Oct. 17th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900