Digital Writing Matters!!
by Janice Dill
What is Digital Writing?
- Using technology tools when working on writing projects
- Collaborating with others when working on the projects
Why change? My way has worked fine so far!!
- As teachers, we need to use technology that our students interact with on a daily basis - they will be more interested in learning
- We know they're using their I-Phones and I-Pads; lets find a way to make it educational
- Digital writing projects enhance creativity in our students
- Digital writing projects offer another avenue of expression - it should increase motivation in our students
- Digital writing projects and use of tools such as google docs, allows students to collaborate with others
- Working collaboratively is an essential life skill; most employers are looking for employees who can contribute positively to the "team" environment
How do I Start these Changes?
- Spend time exploring the Web 2.0 tools that would work for your content area
- Don't be discouraged - there's so much out there - we can't know it all
- Let the students know that you don't know it all when you work with the technology
- Trust me, after teaching with computers for 20+ years we NEVER know it all
- Let your students help you!
- Talk to your colleagues - stress the importance of including technology into our standards and expectations for students
- Collaborate with your colleagues - be part of a learning team - try to stay current
- Think outside the box - is there a new way you can do something that might be more interesting?
- Start with one lesson, one class; don't try to do it all in one quarter
- Don't be afraid to fail - you may have great success with some projects, and others may not work.