What's New @ the Library
Penny Payte McLeaish LRC September Notes
This is Mrs. Cruz 11th year at Sharyland High School. She also serves the district as the Lead Librarian. Her husband Paul teaches Forensic Science and daughter Anastasia is a Senior Diamond.
Visit the Library
This is Mrs. Garza's first full year as the SHS/ SA3 library assistant. She is a Sharyland High School Graduate-Class of 2000. She has three children-STC student Dominikue, Pioneer Freshmen Rey, and Jensen Kinder Desirae.
Banned Books Week September 22-28
Michell Garza has three grown children. Her youngest Sydney is a Aggie at Texas A&M University. She enjoys getting to know her students and assisting teachers.
Enjoy mobile and classroom labs
Stan Asumnu is new to the library, but he has served the SHS community for three years. He coaches volleyball and boys basketball. Stan is a welcome addition to the LRC team.
South Texas Book Festival Youth Writing Contest
Note: Entries that do not meet the following requirements will not be accepted.
- Contestants must be children and teens between the ages of 5 – 18 years old.
- Contestants must be residents of Starr, Hidalgo, Willacy, or Cameron counties.
- All entries must address the theme “The Spirit of South Texas”.
- The contest opens on Monday, July 8th, 2019.
- The deadline for submissions is Friday, October 4th at 5:00PM.
- Only one entry per category (poetry or flash fiction) may be submitted by an individual.
- Entries must be original works and cannot be copied from a previous publication.
- Entries must be written by a single author; no collective or joint projects will be considered.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- Entries must be submitted electronically using the link provided at the bottom of this page.
- Poetry – 20 lines
- Flash Fiction (prose) – 300 words
The South Texas Book Festival Committee will choose up to three winners per category (poetry and prose) per age group (5-9, 10-13, 14-18). Authors of winning entries will be notified by Friday, October 25th, 2019 by McAllen Public Library. Winners will receive a medal at an awards ceremony during the South Texas Book Festival, and their work will be published in an anthology.
National Voter Registration Day @ SHS on September 24th Lecture Hall 4th block
Every year millions of Americans find themselves unable to vote because they miss a registration deadline, don’t update their registration, or aren’t sure how to register. National Voter Registration Day wants to make sure everyone has the opportunity to vote. On Tuesday September 24, 2019 volunteers and organizations from all over the country will “hit the streets” in a single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology and media efforts. National Voter Registration Day seeks to create broad awareness of voter registration opportunities to reach tens of thousands of voters who may not register otherwise.
Collaboration is Alive and Well @ the Library
Nicole H. Cruz, Librarian
Take a selfie with your grandparent. Email to Mrs. Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
She'll create a Google Slide presentation. Deadline to enter is Friday, September 6th.
All entries will be entered in a raffle for a special prize.