BWMS Parent Update
Here we go Eagles, Here we Go!
It was a great staggered start to the 2022-23 School Year at BWMS.
I was impressed with our students and their willingness to help and support each other as everyone was learning new schedules, new routines, and a new building. Each classroom had a goal to get to know each other as learners and establish common norms and expectations so our school year will go well. We look to build upon this positive environment next week as we choose daily to S.O.A.R daily in the areas of Scholarship, Ownership, Awareness and Respect. We will also strive to grow in all areas of the Eagle Profile - (Adaptable Learner, Collaborator, Communicator, Problem Solver and Responsible Citizen).
Enjoy the weekend and Go Eagles!
~Mr. Josh Frame
- The First Day for all students is Monday, August 22nd.
- Monday 8-22-22 is the deadline to order Fall Sports pictures. Please see more details below.
- STAR assessments will be given in Reading and Math during the week of 8/22/22.
- BWMS Curriculum Night is Thursday 8-25-22 with a 6:00 PM start time. Parents will follow the schedule listed below and have a chance to get to meet with each teacher.
- Curriculum Night Schedule:
5:50-6:00 PA Welcome and Schedule Pick Up
6:00-6:10 1st Period Class
6:15-6:25 2nd Period Class
6:30-6:40 3rd Period Class
6:45-6:55 4th Period Class
7:00-7:10 5-7th Period Class
7:15-7:25 9th Period Class
7:30-7:45 Optional Principal Meeting in the Auditorium
- Students do not have school on Labor Day - Monday 9-5-22.
- Student Council Elections begin on Tuesday 9-6-22.
Other Opening of School Details
- Although most students at the MS have traditionally selected not to use a locker, we do have some lockers that are available upon request. Please CLICK HERE to request a locker for your student. Please complete the form to request a locker and someone from the office will connect with your student to assign a locker and provide the passcode.
- BWMS cannot provide classroom supervision of students until 7:25 AM each morning so we ask that parents arrange drop off schedules accordingly. At that time, all students report to their 1st period class.
- If your child will be absent, please call the attendance line at 740-965-7786 by 8:30 AM on the day of the absence.
- Parent Drop Off and Pick Up should use S Old 3C entrance and the loop in front of the school to exit using the same road. Only buses should enter and leave using the old BWI path for safety reasons. We ask that you pull all the way down to the end of the loop so we can drop off and pick up as many students as possible. Student pick up will be different this year and we appreciate your patience.
Reminder for 7th Grade Families
All 7th grade students are required to have an updated Tdap and meningitis vaccine. We would ask that parents provide written proof of immunization or a letter of objection to the school within the first two weeks of school. Please contact our School Nurse at MeganTruax@bwls.net or the office with any questions.
22 1st Day with All Students
22 W STAR Assessments (7 & 8 Reading & Math)
25 Curriculum Night 6:00-7:45
30 8th Grade Data Teams
31 7th Grade Data Teams
5 Labor Day (no school)
6-9 Student Council/SOAR Elections
16 STAR reports sent Home
16 Grade Update Day
19 Teacher PD Day / Fair Day
21 Picture Day 7:45-2:20
26-30 Spirit Week
27 Conferences, 3:30-7:30
Reminder that all athletes should have their final forms complete and hard copy of the physical submitted prior to participation.
All information for BWMS athletics can be found at bigwalnutathletics.net and on Schoology.
Also, take a look at the Fall Sports Picture Information Below.
BWMS SOARing Staff Member Award
The SOARing Staff Award is used to recognize a Big Walnut Middle School Staff Member who goes above and beyond to support the mission of BWLS to inspire and guide each student to his or her maximum potential. If you would love to recognize a staff member, please submit their name and reason on the following form... HERE.
Stay Connected with Schoology
Schoology is used as our district's communication tool, as well as an avenue for parents to check their child's school work, due dates, and upcoming events. To make it easier for you, parents do not need to join or leave groups this year! Simply log in, and all school and district information will be on the newsfeed. If you don't have an account, create one by using the Parent Access Code (Don't know what the code is? Ask your child's building secretary or email email@example.com). Be sure to visit bwls.net/schoology.aspx for additional information and tutorial videos.
We are committed to seeking out our military connected families and assisting those families as needed. Should an immediate family member currently be serving in the military, please complete this form.