- Charlotte is the largest city in the state of North Carolina
- Its the second largest city in the Southeastern US, just behind Jacksonville, Florida, and the third fastest-growing major city in the US.
- In 2013 it was the 16th largest cit in the United States based on population.
- Residents of Charlotte are referred to as Charlotteans.
- It was named for King George III of England's wife, Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
- Settled in 1750
- Charlotte is the second-largest banking center in the US
Mayor Dan Clodfelter
- Born in Thomasville, NC
- Served as a member of the Charlotte City Council, representing District One (East Charlotte) from 1987 to 1993.
- On April 7, 2014, the City Council appointed Clodfelter as Mayor.
- Decides how to :spend money on local programs, construction projects, parks, city streets
- At city council meetings the mayor listens to everything and has the power to vote on which plans should be put into practice.
- He also is responsible fire and police department.
City Manager Ron Carlee
- The City Manager is responsible for carrying out decisions, as well as providing vision and leadership to the organization and for overseeing the daily operations of City government.
- Became the City of Charlotte's 11th City Manager in April 2013
- Served more than 30 years in local government
- Prior to joining the City, Carlee was chief operating officer/executive in residence of ICMA.
City Clerk Stephanie C. Kelly
- The municipal clerk is one of the oldest government professions and has been traced to the year 1272 A.D.
- Serves as the direct link between the citizens and their government and is the historian of the community and its people
- Provides services that connect citizens to their government and maintains a recorded history of government actions.
- Mayor Pro Tem: assumes all duties, powers and obligations of the Office of Mayor in the Mayor's absence.
- Council At-Large: all members work together to provide policy decisions that benefit the community as a whole and provide quality service to all of Charlotte's districts.
-Claire Green Fallon
- District Representatives: meet with the residents of their community by attending public functions and community meetings.
-Al Austin, District 2
-LaWana Mayfield, District 3
-Greg Phillips, District 4
-John Autry, District 5
-Kenney Smith, District 6
-Ed Driggs, District 7