Chemistry Nobel Prize 1995
Paul Crutzen, Mario Molina, & F. Sherwood Rowland
F. Sherwood Rowland
- Born: December 3, 1933 in Amsterdam
- Education: PhD in meteorology from Stockholm University
- fluent in French, English, German
- Dutch citizen
- Born: March 19, 1943 in Mexico City, Mexico
- Education: PhD in physical chemistry from University of California, Berkeley
- his aunt was a chemist
- went to boarding school in Switzerland when he was 11
- observed what causes the ozone in the atmosphere to disappear
- used laboratory studies of how certain chemical compounds reacts with ozone
- The ozone layer allows life to exist on earth
- Ozone is a gas located in the atmosphere that absorbs much of the sun's UV radiation
- they researched and contributed to the explanation of how ozone is formed and breaks apart in the atmosphere
- the ozone layer is reliant on the makeup of the atmosphere
Why did they win?
Why is this important?
Did it challenge previous knowledge?
How is it currently being used?
How will this impact the future?