News from Room 11
April 26th * Happy Earth Week!
What we will be learning:
* Language Arts Unit 5: Week 5- Baby animals change and grow as they get older.
- Vocabulary: remain, mature, newborn, cub, slender, process, wild
- Words to Know (read, spell, write): cub, air, enough, wild, open, learn, eyes
- Grammar/Mechanics: adjectives, capitalizing days if the week and book titles
- Phonics: oi and oy words. Spelling Words: spoil, coin, join, joy, toy, boy
- Skill: Compare and Contrast
* Writing- using synonyms and adjectives to write more powerful sentences
- Speeches: All first graders will begin giving speeches over the next few weeks. The girls will be presenting their first speeches the week of April 29th. I will be sending home the topic this Friday. The boys will go on the following week beginning on May 6th. The students need to be prepared on their speaking day (no make-ups). Please look for the topic and rubric to come home every other week for a total of 3 speeches. A few second graders will present their speeches to give the first graders an idea of what the presentations should look like.
A few notes/ideas to share:
* a poster is not required for the speech but can be used
* keynote or PowerPoint presentations can be used (please email me it to be before their speech day)
* a written/typed speech does not need to be turned in
- Books and Beyond end May 17th.
- MAP Testing is the week of May 6th. Please try not to be absent.
Video about telling time....
We used a great app called, Feel Clock on the Media Center Ipads. Please work on time with your child, just focus on the hour and half an hour.
May 6th-10th: STAR Testing for grades 2-6. MAP Testing for 1st Grade. All volunteers canceled (in class, media center and art)
May 10th: First Grade Performance at 1:15 in the FAB
May 20th-24th SSF Ocean Week
May 23rd: Open House at 6:00
May 28th: Field Trip to Scripps Aquarium
May 30th: Gold Medal Ceremony
Earth Day Book Club
Thank you Olivia for hosting!
We grew, picked, and ate our strawberries!
Room 11 Thank you notes will be posted at the Fair