The Counseling Capsule
From the CYES School Counselors
Week of May 23-27, 2016
Monthly Character Pillar:
May's Character Pillar: Being a TRRFCC Student and Persevering!
All the colors are celebrated this month!
Mrs. Lang's Schedule (Grades 1, 3 and 5)
Mrs. Lang's Schedule is as follows:
Monday, May 23
Mrs. Lang at CYES Gifted Screenings 7:45 - 3:45 pm
Tuesday, May 24
9:30 SOLs -Grade 5 - Math Part 1 - Computer Lab with Ms. Payne
3 - 3:40 Classroom Character Games with Grade 1 - Ramirez
Wednesday, May 25
8:30 RIP meetings
9:30 SOLs - Grade 5 Math Part 2 - Computer Lab with Ms. Payne
3-3:40 Classroom Character Games with Grade 1 - Paulhamus
Thursday, May 26
9:30 SOLs - Grade 3 Math Part 1
3-3:40 Classroom Character Games with Grade 1 - Coster
NO BLAST meeting today
Friday, May 27
8am - 4 pm Mrs. Lang OUT at KLC Building for County Gifted Screenings
These principles are what we use to guide our collaborative efforts in creating a firm foundation for our school community based upon the Six Pillars of Character.
Briefly, these principles are:
- The school community promotes core ethical and performance values as the foundation of good character.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling, and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intentional, and proactive approach to character development.
- The school creates a caring community.
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action.
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character, and helps them to succeed.
- The school fosters students’ self-motivation.
- The school staff is an ethical learning community that shares responsibility for character education and adheres to the same core values that guide the students.
- The school fosters shared leadership and long-range support of the character education initiative.
- The school engages families and community members as partners in the character-building effort.
- The school regularly assesses its culture and climate, the functioning of its staff as character educators, and the extent to which its students manifest good character.
These 11 principles are the goals of Chris Yung Elementary School and our community as we work together to form new traditions, incentives, and a positive school climate within our school culture.
Bet you didn't know there were 11 of them!
CHARACTER EDUCATION ARTICLES, LINKS, AND RESOURCES
Teaching Good Citizenship - Five Themes
Tips for Creating a Culture of Kindness in Your School
The Responsive Classroom - Why is everyone so nice in here?
WEBSITES and LINKS
Awesome Blog by Barbara Gruener
Have a great week, everyone!