AEEA Rep Council Meeting Summary
January 28, 2019
Things they can help with:
- Waive deductible when your car is damaged at work
- Cover your personal property if it's damaged/lost in your classroom
- Identity theft
- Roadside assistance
- Several other things - I'll post the flyer he gave us.
For a comparison, you can call 866-253-4997 or go to www.CalCas.com/rstiehl (Robert Stiehl is our rep).
Visit from Superintendent Downing
He has many more proposals for next year. Our schools are divided into 3 tiers of need, and they'll receive different amounts of staffing. He made it clear that no school is decreasing in staffing to support increased staffing at the higher need schools - these are added positions. Some positions he is proposing:
- Leadership Assistant
- Nurse (there will be some kind of medical professional on site at every school at all times)
- More music teachers
- Funding 1 Instructional Coach instead of the current 0.5
- 2 "Tech Support" (I asked about this to clarify if he meant TA, TST, DLC...he said they'll look at each individual school and determine need)
- Attendance Liaison (new in addition to the FACES)
- Additional office assistant
- 0.5 "Cerficated Equity Champion (restorative practices, training, attendance support)" This is kind of like a FACES but certificated, and is a new position.
- Will there be subs funded? (Not through this)
- Will schools have the ability to choose how funds are used? (He said he was open to it)
- CC & DLC need to be modernized/combined
- Where is the money coming from? He says we can certainly afford it and have a responsibility to afford it.
- Want more help IN classroom, not marginal support staff
- How will behavior problems be supported better? He says they're looking into programs; trainings will include admin
- Is there a plan in place for long-term absences of people like nurses etc?
- He says music will be a site decision: 2 50% general/instrumental, or a single 100% who does both
- Want IAs especially for K & TK. He pointed out that funding the 100% CC means the 50% most schools are currently paying is freed up for sites to spend.
5.2 of the contract can illustrate more about transferring etc.
- Multi-Track-Single-Track Committee is working on an MOU for those who made off-track travel plans, etc., who will no longer be off-track due to the change.
- Good Teaching Conference, March 22-24: AEEA will pay your fee if you want to go. It's in Garden Grove. Contact me or Faith.
- #RedForEd - Keep wearing red on Tuesdays! It's bargaining time and the red shows unity.
- Negotiations start Monday Feb 4 - wear your blue union shirt
Calling in sick: People were not happy with an email that went out yesterday asking people not to call in "sick". I didn't get it myself; not sure if any of you did. In any case, they didn't like the implication. At the same time, apparently subs can legally get sub pay by accepting a job and then canceling it.