BAMS Staff Newsletter
May 10, 2015 - Volume 2, Issue 31
It's a Great Day to Be Great!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2015, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing sample rubric score from the September 2014 writing benchmark based on the school developed writing rubric (adapted from the Smarter Balanced writing rubric).
Goal Update: Here are the results from our mid-year assessment
6th Grade - 61% of students showed growth; overall achievement increased 14%
7th Grade - 69% of students showed growth; overall achievement increased 12%
8th Grade - 57% of students showed growth; overall achievement increased 3%
School wide - 62% of students showed growth
DPI School of Recognition
PBIS School of Merit
Routinely Take Literacy Risks
Be a CEO
Driving Question for 2014-2015:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare our students for the Badger Exam assessment (and other higher level thinking opportunities)?
Goals for SSR and SSW
- Provide a time for every student in our building to read and write.
- Ensure this time is a positive part of our students' day.
News and Notes
- Thank you to grade level teams to starting STAR testing. The window will close on May 15th. Please have all make-ups completed by that time.
- The last benchmark assessment for the year will be the all-school writing sample taking place on May 13th. Thank you for all of the work that has gone into this. We will use the same process for scoring these samples. Many educators are using these results for their SLO.
- Please checkout some of the events for the last week of school in the Dates to Remember section. There are many staff members working to get everything ready for these events. Thank you!
- Thank you again for the feedback with our conversation about the dress code at the last staff meeting. I have not had any replies from my email about suggestions for Kim, Jenny, or myself. Remember, the process has not changed and Kim, Jenny, and I will continue to make time for students or staff that have questions.
- Talent Show - The date for the talent show is set; June 5th 7:45-9am. Auditions are scheduled for May 19th. If you have any questions please contact Melissa Rahn. Thank you to everyone that has been helping with this year's show.
- Please be thinking about adding final notes and comments to student RtI folders. This documentation process is huge to support next year's teachers. This task will be on the end of the year checkout list which will be coming from Joan soon.
- Grade level teams will again be helping with collecting iPads at the end of the year. Dates will be communicated to staff once teams have finalized plans. Let the un-rollout begin!
- There is still time to take the Clarity Survey. Please contact Lee if you need the link. Also, thank you for taking time to administer these surveys with your students. The grade level teams scheduled these surveys for their students.
- Student Handbook Review - Thank you for support in reviewing elements of the students handbook. Many hands and eyes have been reviewing content and ensuring that our handbook benefits our students. I will be making final edits for board approval in the summer.
Out of the Office
- May 11th - 1:45-2:35pm - Honor's Study Hall
- May 12th - 8-11am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- May 14th - 8:30am - District ELL Meeting - Deb's Office
- May 15th - 10:00am - 6th Grade Teacher Interviews - DMR
- May 20th - 8:30am - BAMS BCT Meeting
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
- How many BAMS Bucks have you given out this month?
- How many GREAT forms have you filled out this month?
- NEXT Meeting - May 13th, 7am
Dates to Remember
May 4-May 15 - STAR Testing Window III
May 11 - School Board Meeting, 7pm
May 12 - 6th Grade Orientation Night, 5:30-7:30pm
May 13 - Spring Choral Concert 6:30pm
May 13 - Writing Sample Benchmark #3 for Building SLO
May 15 - BAMS Medal of Excellence Names to Jennifer
May 18 - BAMS Honors Reception 6pm
May 20 - 5th Graders Visit BAMS, 9-11am
May 22 - Pep Assembly 1:45pm *5th Graders in attendance
May 25 - No School
May 27 - 7th Grade Field Trip - Brewers Game
May 27 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm
May 28 - Oriole Leaders Meeting 10:40-11:40am
June 2 - 5th/6th Grade Track Meet PM
June 3 - 8th Grade vs. Faculty Basketball Game *tentative
June 4 - 6th Grade Field Trip - Medieval Times
June 4 - 8th Grade Field Trip - Mt. Olympus
June 5 - Last Day of 6th Grade Exploratory Rotation
June 5 - BAMS Got Talent Show 7:45am-9am
June 5 - Last Day of School - Early Release
June 8 - End of the Year Grades Due 7am
*See Google Doc titled "2014-2015 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.
Staff Meeting Agenda
Staff Meeting: May 27th - 2:50-3:30pm - DMR
Next Meeting: August 25th, 8am - DMR
Parent Link Messages
We use a system called Parent Link to send mass messages to families. Please let me know if you need anything communicated.
Messages sent this week:
- 6th Grade Transition Reminder to 5th Grade Families - sent 5/7/15
- Mid Quarter Grades Reminder - No paper copy sent home