Fork Shoals Library Ledger
October 2016 Newsletter
First Quarter Reading Challenge
How do you record reading?
Students have received reading logs, but you can also print out a reading log here. List books as you complete them. Remember that books can be counted only once, and only books finished should be recorded.
Second Quarter Reading Challenge information will be sent home during the last week in October.
Read Your Way to the Big Game!
All contest entry cards for the "Read Your Way to the Big Game" contest are due to Ms. Knight no later than Friday, October 28th.
All students who meet the six-book challenge qualify for the grand prize--a trip to the Palmetto Bowl (otherwise known as the Carolina/Clemson game)!
If you need copies of the reading log, student entry card, or bookmark, please click here.
A Visit with Author Barbara O'Connor
Order forms for copies of Mrs. O'Connor's books have been sent home. All orders are due by Tuesday, October 4th. Students may also bring in their own copies of books to be autographed.
Some of Barbara O'Connor's books are:
- The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis
- How to Steal a Dog
- Greetings from Nowhere
- On the Road to Mr. Mineo's
- The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester
These local shops are participating in Halloween ComicFest:
- Richard's Comics & Collectables - 1214 Laurens Road, Greenville
- Borderlands - 1434 Laurens Road, Greenville
- 2nd & Charles - 2465 Laurens Road, Greenville
- Planet Comics - 2704 N. Main Street, Anderson
Richard's Comics & Collectables is having a huge event on Saturday, 11am-6pm. There will be a Halloween party, free comics and candy, a costume contest, comic signings, and more!
For more information about Halloween ComicFest, click here.
Save the Dates for the Fall Book Fair!
Our Scholastic Book Fair is a reading event that brings the books kids want to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
Book Fair dates: Friday, November 11th-Friday, November 18th
- Friday, November 11th – 8am-3pm
- Monday, November 14th – 8am-7pm
- Tuesday, November 15th-Thursday, November 17th – 8am-3pm
- Friday, November 18th – 7:15am-noon
We accept cash, checks (made payable to Fork Shoals School), and all major credit cards. 6% sales tax is added to all purchases. As we get closer to the Book Fair, we'll also have the Online Book Fair open for your shopping convenience.
Star Wars Reads!
Battle of the Books
- Anybody Shining by Frances O'Roark Dowell
- Dash by Kirby Larson
- The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage
- Masterminds by Gordon Korman
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Pack of Dorks by Beth Vrabel
- Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
- Rescue on the Oregon Trail by Kate Messner
- The Rookie Bookie by Wertheim and Moskowitz
- Saving Kabul Corner by N.H. Senzai
Fork Shoals’ Battle of the Books team will train to compete against other teams in Greenville County. There will be two competition dates: the regional competition and district finals. Both of these events should take place in late March or early April, and will be held off-site in the evening.
Battle of the Books practices will begin on November 29th, and will be held every Tuesday afternoon (with the exception of Book Fair week) from 2:30 to 3:00. We will add Wednesday morning practices, 7:30-7:55am, beginning in January. The team will practice on Tuesday and Wednesdays through regional and/or district competition.
Are you interested in participating in this year's Battle of the Books competition? If so, check out the information below!
- Fill out a registration form by November 28th.
- Read the ten Battle of the Books titles.
- Be available for practices--starting in December--on Tuesdays, 2:30-3pm, and Wednesdays, 7:30-7:55am.
- Members need to have at least three of the books read by our first practice.
- Only students who have read all ten books will be eligible for the competition team (final five).
*If the number of students participating exceeds the required number for a school team (5), it may be necessary to assess which students are most knowledgeable about the books through a written evaluation or a school competition round determined by Ms. Knight.*
South Carolina Book Award Program
Click here for a handy checkoff sheet to keep track of your Book Award reading.
YouTube Channel for the Fork Shoals Library, featuring school videos and book trailers for the South Carolina Picture and Children's Book Award nominees.
Dates to Remember:
- October 6 - Gravitopia Spirit Night, 6-8pm
- October 10 - Makeup picture day
- October 11 - SIC meeting, 7:30am; Related arts/support staff volunteer day
- October 13-14 - Teacher workdays (No school for students.)
- October 18 - 3rd-5th grades visit with author Barbara O'Connor
- October 20 - End of 1st quarter
- October 24-28 - 2nd grade testing
- October 25 - 1st quarter reading logs due
- October 27 - Report cards
- October 28 - "Big Game" entry cards due; Spirit Day
- October 29 - Halloween ComicFest