Moyka River

General information

The Moyka River is a small river that encircles the central portion of Saint Petersburg, effectively making it an island. It is 5 kilometres long and 40 metres wide. Originates from the Fontanka River . At the beginning of the XVIII century it flowed out of the swamp , located near the Champs de Mars . In 1711, it connected with the Fontanka
Big image

Main sights

Apartment Museum as well . from. Pushkin

Big image

The house in which rented an apartment from the beginning of September 1836 the great Russian writer Alexander Pushkin. The first museum was opened in several rooms of February 13, 1927, and then substantially converted to the 100 th anniversary of the poet's death - February 10, 1937.

Today, the museum holds a lot of genuine things that decades later reoccupied their former places here. Desk poet and his beloved Voltaire armchair, desk and chest road, walking sticks and smoking pipe, an inkwell with black boy - all these and other objects that are in the office, remind today about the life of Alexander Pushkin.

General Staff Building

The General Staff Building is an edifice with a 580 m long bow-shaped facade, situated on Palace Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia, in front of the Winter Palace.

The monumental Neoclassical building was designed by Carlo Rossi in the Empire style and built in 1819-1829.The arch links Palace Square through Bolshaya Morskaya St. to Nevsky Prospekt. Until the capital was transferred to Moscow in 1918, the building served as the headquarters of the General Staff, Foreign Ministry and Finance Ministry.

The western wing now hosts the headquarters of the Western Military District. The eastern wing was given to the Hermitage Museum in 1993 and was extensively remodeled inside.

Stroganov Palace

The Stroganov Palace is a Late Baroque palace at the intersection of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg, Russia. The palace was built to Bartolomeo Rastrelli's designs for Baron Sergei Grigoriyevich Stroganov in 1753-1754. The interiors were remodeled by Andrei Voronikhin at the turn of the 19th century. In 1988 the palace was given to the Russian Museum and became a branch housing some of its exhibitions. The dilapidated building underwent a thorough and painstaking restoration process between 1991 and the present moment. In keeping with Rastrelli's original design, its walls are now painted light pink. It is one of the few Baroque structures on Nevsky Prospect to preserve its original appearance.

Big image