Armstrong High School Weekly Update
Week Of June 13, 2016 to June 17, 2016 (Wk38)
"Membership Has Its Privileges - Building A Strong Foundation”
- Lesson Plans are non-negotiable – Lesson plans must be submitted weekly using the new RPS format – UBD model – Lesson plans are a clear picture of Teaching and Learning opportunities in your class
- Reminder to all teachers - please ensure that you are using your Daily Attendance Logs to keep documentation of your back up attendance. More Logs are available at your request.
- Don't forget to return to Mrs. Murray your daily inspirational thought to be read over the announcements. Feel free to submit multiple thoughts of inspiration!
- NEW Announcement Form! All announcements must be submitted electronically. Click on the link above. Announcements must be submitted the day before they are expected to be read.
- Implementation of the 5-5-5 Parent Call Log has begun – Please see Mrs. Carter if you need additional information
Remember to only use the attendance on the home page of ASPEN. Please, update any tardy students in ASPEN when they arrive late!
Teachers are reminded that Daily Attendance is to be taken in ASPEN within the first 15 minutes of class each period. Usage of the Daily Attendance Logs is not an option, it is mandated per the Code of Virginia - § 22.1-259.
- All staff must wear their RPS ID at all times
- Always lock up all personal items
- DO NOT give studentsbuilding keys for any reason.
- DO NOT open doors for staff. Side entrance will be locked by 8 AM each day. After 8 AM only use the front door entrance.
- Restricted Movement means Restricted Movement! No one is to move when a Restricted Movement Notice has been given. Students nor staff are permitted to be in the hall way. It is for your safety!
- DO NOT purchase snacks for students out of the vending machines. The Vending Machines in room 118 have been relocated to teacher work room.
- DO NOT block a door if a students is trying to leave. Dial 501 to alert security.
- DO NOT encourage students to leave you room. If you need a student removed, alert security.
- DO NOT deny students entrance into class if they are late.
- Please place notification on your door if you are relocating your classroom.
- Follow the 30/30 rule, always!
- Remember NO lunch starts at the bell!
Strengthening the Craft of Teaching and Learning
click the box above to access the article regarding two different approaches/beliefs to dealing with problem behaviors
'5' Days Left to make a difference in the lives of our students"
Monday June 13, 2016
Morning - Tutoring Schedule for the Week:
Tuesday - 11 English - Mrs. Conley
Thursday - Science - Earth Science - Mark Zelonski and Ms.Lenkiewicz, Biology- Ms. Kern, Chemistry - Mr. Jaini
After school tutoring Schedule for the Week:
Tuesday - Science
Wednesday - English/History
Thursday - Math
Senior rehearsal -- 3@ pm - auditorium
AHS Athletic banquet - St Paul's Baptist Church - 6:00 pm
Tuesday – June 14, 2016
SOLs - see email from Mrs. Carter
Underclassman Exams Periods 2 & 6
Class of 2016 Commencement Exercise - 7:00 PM -- Altria Theater
Wednesday - June 15, 2016
SOLs - see email from Mrs. Carter
Underclassman Exams Periods 3 & 7 (This is a Change)
Class of 2019 Freshman Academy Program Graduation
@ 3:30 - 4:30pm
Armstrong High School
Thursday - June 16, 2016
SOLs - see email from Mrs. Carter
Homeroom - Locker Cleanout - 8:00 am - 8:15 am 1st floor --- 8:15 am - 8:30 am 2nd floor bell will ring at 8:35 to move to 2nd period--
Underclassman Exams Periods 4 & 8
Friday –June 17, 2016
SOLs - see email from Mrs. Carter
Underclassman Exams Periods 1 & 5 (This is a Change)
Concerns and Updates
Extended Core Student SOL Tracker
First let me thank the Extended Core teachers for completing the Extended Core SOL Spreadsheet. The task was two-fold -- one it allowed the extended core teachers to better understand the specific SOL tests that their students are embarking on in the next couple of weeks. Second, it allowed the creation of a spreadsheet that will assist in tracking individual or group of students by extended core classes. The leadership team will be able to form small group interventions based on students who are located in specific extended core classes by SOL test. Extended Core teachers will be able to have conversations with their students to champion them on to success.
There are a couple of teachers who will still need to complete the task -- but it is now 95% accurate. Below is the link for all to access ---- Click below
All employees must complete the mandatory Sexual Harassment training through our on-line professional development tool, Skillsoft. Extended for those who still need to complete. To access the training, you will need to login to Skillport.
To login to our Skillport site, please visit www. ileadrps.skillport.com. As a first-time user, you will login using your network (RPS) id and the password ileadrps. You will be prompted to change the password upon logging in. On the iLead Home Page, you can Launch the How to Videos to help you navigate.
To access the Sexual Harassment Training:
· Click on View iLead Plan.
· Once you are in the iLead Plan, you will see your assigned Learning tab.
· Under this tab you will see Sexual Harassment Prevention for Employees.
· To begin the Sexual Harassment Prevention for Employees, select Launch.
· You will know you have completed your work when the Status Icon is completely filled green.
Protocol For Leaving the Building During School Hours - 7:45 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
As we move towards our SOL testing season and the weather is getting warmer, it is important that all hands are on deck to support our students during the instructional day. At any given moment, an unexpected request and change to our normal day can occur.
- arrival time as indicated during our opening session - 7:45 a.m.
- all staff members must sign in upon entry into the building (accountability for all staff members present in the building)
- no longer are you able to leave the building during instructional-contractual hours
- if an emergency occurs - please contact your cluster administrator
- when an emergency occurs you will have to sign-out and put your time on the system in increments of 30 minutes
- all staff members must sign out at the end of each day
- Review the hall duty document and ensure that you are covering the required area as indicated
Field Trip Protocol
- all field trip requests must be submitted 10 business days prior to field trip
- all monies collected must be receipted and turned in to Mrs. Harden two days prior to field trip
- Mrs. Harden will write a check to the entity involved
- List of names must be provided to Administration at least two days prior to field trip for final approval
- Names must be submitted to all staff members to include Ms. Lillie Murray and Ms. Sandra Dayo prior to departure
- The last day for field trips will be on Friday, April 8th
- Teachers to post grades for homebound & homebase students that no longer show in your grade book please refer to the email sent by Mr. Malcom. Under status you see two bullets, enrolled & withdrawn; when you click on the withdrawn bullet it will show all the student that you no longer see in your grade book. This is where you will place a grade only for homebound & homebase students if Mr. King has provided said grade. Remember after you input a numerical grade for each student click the post grades button. Please feel free to call (ext 508) or stop by my office if you have questions
- In spring 2016, the Standards of Learning (SOL) history tests will contain multiple choice and technology-enhanced field test items that assess the current 2008 History & Social Science Standards of Learning. In spring 2017, the SOL history tests will contain multiple choice and technology-enhanced field test items that assess the revised 2015 History & Social Science Standards of Learning. In order to support student preparation for technology-enhanced items (TEI) that may appear on history assessments, sets of practice items have been developed and will be delivered via electronic Practice Assessment Tools (ePAT).
- Seniors must take the SAT before January because of the new SAT scheduled for March. Any seniors taking the SAT in March will NOT have scores back until May
- Graduation - Tuesday, June 14, 2016 -- 7:00 p.m. Armstrong Altria Theater
- Athletic Banquet - June 13th at St. Pauls Baptist Church - Creighton Rd. - See AD Brown for additional details
- Underclassman Exams--- June 14th --- 2nd & 6th ---June 15th 3rd & 7th---
- Underclassman grades are posted daily after final exam -- all grades for underclassman are posted by June 17th by 4:30 p.m.
- Summer School: June 27 – July 28 Jobs are now posted
- RPS Reading Riders Bookmobile: June 21 – August 2 - Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or feedback.
- Districtwide PD Dates: August 25, 26, 29, 30
- PD Sites: Elkhardt-Thompson, HHS, JMHS, AHS
- School-based PD: August 24, 31, September 1, 2
- Summer PD Institutes: August 1 – 4
- Title I; CTE; Elem. Math – Carnegie Learning; Teaching, Learning & Poverty, Computer Science (Chris Dovi); Tchr. Leadership (VCU); Maker Spaces, etc.
- Leadership Institute: August 8 – 11 (Franklin Military)
- New Teacher Institute: August 15 – 18 (Community High School)
- Are your lesson plans updated and outside of your door?
- Please be mindful of the students that rotate out of your class with or without a pass. All students must be given a pass to exit your classroom. Hall walkers should not be given an exit ticket out of your room.
- It is imperative that the Faculty and Staff adhere to all due dates and meeting times.
- Make sure student attendance is taken in every class.
- Please make sure you are honoring the 30/30 time frame.
- All teachers are expected to stand at their door during the change of class.
- Please encourage students to move along quickly. We all must communicate the same message to these young people.
- Thank you for all of your hard work!
Click the box above to see an updated list of homebound students
Want to submit a Daily Announcement? Click this button! Requests must be submitted a day in advance.
If you are completing your lesson plans in Google Docs, this is the Google Doc to make a copy of and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
If you are completing your lesson plans in Microsoft Word, this the the Word Doc to download and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
Due every Friday to document parent contact. 5 minute calls for 5 students every 5 days.
Due every Friday to Department Chairs to document weekly common planning meetings.
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Please email me at your earliest convenience.
As always, thank you for all of your hard work and for continuing to Inspire Excellence for all of our students!