5th Grade News
February 15, 2016
- Nurse Carol and her nursing team will be completing the scoliosis examination on 5th grade students on Wednesday, February 17. If your 5th grader is a female, please be sure to have your daughter wear a bra, sports bra, or a swimsuit top on that date (she will have to remove her shirt). She will also need to bring a hair tie so that she can put her hair up in order for the nurse to see her back.
- Please remind your child to complete his/her Think Through Math homework. The students should be completing 90 minutes of Think Through Math each week. The fulfillment of this requirement will be reflected as a separate assignment in math ("% completed" grade).
Curriculum This Week
"Catch of the Day"
Reading Skill: Character and Setting
Identify character traits and motivation
Identify how a character changes from beginning to end
Problem-solving Strategies in Algebra (work backwards to solve a word problem)
Identify different polygons
Determine whether polygons are regular or not
- Identify alternative energy sources (ie. wind, geothermal, solar, hydroelectric, biofuels)
- Design a city using alternative energy resources
Science test – Wednesday, February 17 over fossil fuels and alternative energy. Study tip: make vocabulary cards at home to review terms.
- Describe how the American government was structured using the Articles of Confederation
- Describe the weaknesses of this governmental structure
What's on the Calendar?
17 Scoliosis exam (in nurses office for all 5th graders)
18 Multi-cultural Night (6:00 - 7:30)
23 Practice Math STAAR
24 Practice Reading STAAR
1 Picture Day (class picture and spring picture)
3 Open House 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
4 Spirit Assembly 8:00 a.m.
7-11 SPRING BREAK
18 End of 3rd nine-weeks
24 Report Cards
25 NO SCHOOL (spring holiday)
29 Math STAAR
30 Reading STAAR
11-15 Spring Book Fair
21 Progress Reports
9 Math STAAR Retest
10 Reading STAAR Retest
11 Science STAAR
19 Haggard Field Trip (tour of school)
12-26 MAP Testing
27 No School (Teacher Work Day) (or a snow make-up day)
30 No School (Memorial Day)
2 Class Party (9:30 - 10:30)
Graduation (6:30 - 9:00 p.m.)
3 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
8:00 - 9:00 Spirit Assembly
12: 00 EARLY RELEASE
Click to see 5th grade's Instagram pictures. Follow us on Instagram. Since our account is private, be sure to send an email to your child's homeroom teacher notifying her of your Instagram username.