Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of January 11th
Teacher Copy Room NEED!
Indian Creek Teachers :)
Link to Volunteer Spot: http://vols.pt/XugV4d
"Problems with Warnings"
Hello. This is Dr. Charles Fay. Here's a special message from my eight-year-old son, Cody:
Computers, iPads, etc., are fun to use, but when is enough enough?
Many parents wonder how much time is enough. It's good to be able to get things fast and easy, but computers, iPads, etc., can be addictive. The reason these can be addictive are that they are fun, and you do not have to do anything. They will do all the work.
Here at Love and Logic we believe that devices should only be used for a few minutes. I believe that thirty minutes is enough for a day.
One parent asked me, "What do you do if you ask the kid to get off of the device and they say no?"
I said to just tell the kid to please shut down the device. If they say "no" just keep calm and say, "I'm going to have to do something about this. We will talk about it later." Maybe you take the device away from the kid when the kid is sleeping. Maybe you take it away until the child shows more respect to you.
Thanks for reading! Our goal is to help as many families as possible. If this is a benefit, forward it to a friend.
Dr. Charles Fay
Indian Creek PTA!
What We Are Learning this Week:
- We just learned how to change mixed numbers to improper fractions and how to change improper fractions to mixed numbers.
- We are now working on Topic 9, multiplying and dividing fractions.
- We will continue our biography and research unit. After students have read a biography over a selected person and conducted research, they will create their own biographies through iBook.
- We will learn how to take notes from a text and compose well written paragraphs for our research project.
- Mrs. Purvis' class will be finishing up Forces and Motion. We will be taking an assessment on Wednesday.
- Mrs. Brown's class will be finishing up light energy and beginning Forces and Motion! The students will design an experiment that tests the effect of force on an object.
- We will continue our unit on Comparing the Colonies. Students will learn about the thirteen colonies and the regions they were in . The focus question we will use throughout this unit is, "How were the three colonial regions alike and different?" Students will also create a billboard advertisement to try and get others to come to their assigned colony.
Tutoring! - all tutoring will be held this week
Please contact the appropriate teacher to let us know if your child is staying to attend tutoring.
Tutoring is after school and ends at 3:35pm. Please pick up your child at the front of the building promptly at 3:35.
Monday - Math (Mrs. Purvis & Mrs. Vitosh)
Tuesday - Reading (Mrs. Brown, Ms. Horne, & Mrs. Legg)
Wednesday - Any Subject (all teachers, Ms. Legg will have writing tutoring)
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES